holiday gift ideas for us to make

Juicegoose

With the holidays fast approaching I figured it might benefit all woodworkers by some of us sharing past woodworking gifts that we had created for family and friends. Also how were these gifts accepted and which ones always seem to be big hits with the family. Lets here about it guys. Wins or losses it doesn't matter.

The next generation of the family ,two sons, twelve nieces and nephews, are now beginning to produce a rather large herd of short people. I have been making a take-apart/puzzle rocking chair from one of the craft pattern catalogs. At two or three years old the kids love it. I paint each piece a different color. The only problem is that the kids have a tendency to loose the lock piece, which is the smallest. I have made house name plates, hall seats, benches and wall mounted coat racks for almost all of the family members. The thing the older ones liked the most were the foot lockers each one got when they went off to college. Another gift that has been a big hit is a candle lamp made with an octagon shaped base and walnut slats rising from 2" in the front to 10" in the back. the base has a circular piece that holds the candle and is sized to hold a hurricane lamp chimney. A christmas ribbon finishes it off. I have made 4' x 4' menorahs with the Star of David superimposed over the front of it for Hanukkah. (Mom Jewish, Dad Catholic, I'm a mess)