Projects to support projects

Dan S

Does it ever end? I mean some times it seems like I spend more time preparing for a project, than I do actually doing it.

For my next project raised dog dishes, Iv'e had 3 "supporting" projects.

1. new cross cut sled

2. tapering sled

3. better inserts for my router lift (working on this one currently)

Most of my projects require at least one new jig/fixtrue/tool/set of stitches. All take longer that I expected. I could do the project much more quickly if I didn't put things away so I know where they are. With galloping senility as my constant helper, I spend a lot of time look for/at things I need for the job at hand. Just kidding, really. I actually do a lot of planning, usually even writing a checklist and flow chart. I do sometimes have to spend time looking for a specific tool.

Hell I just woodwork by the old K.I.S.S lol heres one I made in about 2 hours used some scrap left overs and the only tools used was a table saw,jigsaw and a drill to make pilot hole for jigsaw nothing fancy seeing how the dogs are just going to dribble over it anyway :lol: added some wood burning to it to pretty it up for my wife but thats not really required.The bowls I just picked up 3 from a dollar store for a total of $3.22 so they all were the same and size.

post-355-071414400 1288124404_thumb.jpg

post-355-061606100 1288124420_thumb.jpg

Don't sweat it. All of these are supporting projects that can find use in other projects as well.

My love/hate relationship is with those jigs, fixtures and templates that are entirely project specific. Love 'em because it's one sign that I'm getting into designs that don't fit into a square box. Hate 'em because they keep calling my name on their way into the trash pile. Yep, even that monster ripping sled I made to taper a set of 72" bed posts went out in the garbage.

It hurts to chuck something that took days or even weeks to build. But beyond the question of limited space is a matter of personal growth. Sure, those templates were a sign of growth on the project I just finished. But allowing myself to recycle such and such a pattern into the next project would cheat the possibility of growth in the future.

And I can say with 100% certainty that the next project will not be an heirloom quality dog bowl stand!