Welcome to Tumblewood

Vic

Hi Vic;

I'm sure I'm like a lot of other viewers in that I'm scouring the power tools and hand tools to see what should be on my Christmas list.

Some have commented on how tidy the shop is but no one has mentioned you left a stool :huh: on the floor !!!!

Honestly, it's just a Baby Ruth. :unsure:

*grumble grumble*

I'm suffering MAJOR shop envy.... A great shop and a pool to clean off the sawdust in? I need to move ... :P

Mind if I borrow a few ideas about layout, paint color, and the Mouse?

Every shop needs a mascot. I have a little stuffed Mickey on the bookshelf in the handtool/studio side. He watches me sketch. Btw, I used the Grizzly shop layout tool and very little has changes. Some things were enhanced. I still will be painting and adding track lighting on the hand tool side. I just added crown molding yesterday to hide the surround sound wiring. It is a simple 1/4 piece of primered mdf that I lopped off a 45 degree corner on each back edge. I want the place to be calming, but sparse and utilitarian. I still have a ways to go, but it is very close now. I really love my desk and drawing table. Both are simple boxes hung on French cleats with several coats of shellac. The 16' cabinet/bench in the power side is all built out of a really good 7 ply plywood I found at my local lumber yard. I was lucky that it is very stable with very few voids. I still have enough for the assembly/outfeed table. I used exterior doors extensively for tops. They are very cheap, flat and strong.

My mascot was given to me when I turned 21. "El monito colorado" (The red monkey). This was an expression that we used when we were kids in Argentina and EL Monito Colorado has traveled with me. Somehow he made it to the shop.

Funny about the mascots. I just did it and did not know it was a requirement Vic.

Every shop needs a mascot. I have a little stuffed Mickey on the bookshelf in the handtool/studio side. He watches me sketch. Btw, I used the Grizzly shop layout tool and very little has changes. Some things were enhanced. I still will be painting and adding track lighting on the hand tool side. I just added crown molding yesterday to hide the surround sound wiring. It is a simple 1/4 piece of primered mdf that I lopped off a 45 degree corner on each back edge. I want the place to be calming, but sparse and utilitarian. I still have a ways to go, but it is very close now. I really love my desk and drawing table. Both are simple boxes hung on French cleats with several coats of shellac. The 16' cabinet/bench in the power side is all built out of a really good 7 ply plywood I found at my local lumber yard. I was lucky that it is very stable with very few voids. I still have enough for the assembly/outfeed table. I used exterior doors extensively for tops. They are very cheap, flat and strong.

• 1 month later...

Vic,

That is sweet! I love the way you've divided up the space. I'm also a huge fan of the French Cleat. I noticed that you also have the Ridgid spindle sander. But yours is gray, mine is orange, otherwise they look to be the same. Did they used to be orange and now they're making them gray? Maybe Chad the Tool Guy could weigh in.

One other question did you design the building or look for a house that already had an out-building? If you designed it, I think it was a stroke of genius to put all those windows up high, so that you could get natural light, yet still use the wall space.

The place looks incredible. I have shop envy... again!

Vic,

That is sweet! I love the way you've divided up the space. I'm also a huge fan of the French Cleat. I noticed that you also have the Ridgid spindle sander. But yours is gray, mine is orange, otherwise they look to be the same. Did they used to be orange and now they're making them gray? Maybe Chad the Tool Guy could weigh in.

One other question did you design the building or look for a house that already had an out-building? If you designed it, I think it was a stroke of genius to put all those windows up high, so that you could get natural light, yet still use the wall space.

The place looks incredible. I have shop envy... again!

Yea, I designed it a buddy helped me build it. I wish I'd have made wider windows up top. They are not wide enough to really let in enough light. They do well on a really bright day, but not on a grey day.