Welcome to Tumblewood

Vic

These are a few pics of my studio/shop. The explanations are attached to the flickr shots. This shop took me five years to build and is extremely energy efficient for heating and cooling. The walls have a nominal 3 inches of polyurethane spray foam and the attic has R50 cellulose. It has very little impact on our energy bills, except for the big power tools.

I still need to build my assembly/outfeed/bending table and a Roubo bench. Other than that, it's pure heaven to me. If you would like a live tour or have any questions, I'm very often streaming from http://thewoodwhisperer.com/live/#

Here's the link to my Flickr page. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30350434@N07/sets/72157625131789919/

It's always a pleasure to be invited into someone's shop - now I can spend a few hours studying each machine/table/configuration. Note to myself - must stop drooling over the keyboard...

If I ever find a Tardis on craigslist for my broom closet... (old Dr. Who fan, sorry).

Thanks Vic - that smaller building to the left is where you keep the family? :P

nice workshop, is your woodworking your career or hobby?

Hobby, at this point. I'm on my first design/build. My wife and I remodeled a 1910 Craftsman four square and that's where I got the bug. I'd helped a friend out off and on for years doing construction when he needed an extra hand on weekends. But, tricking out the old house's built ins is where I got to start doing some woodworking. I'm lucky that my wife is VERY supportive of my dream. The deal when we sold that place and moved out here was that she got a pool and I got a shop. Great deal for me. My plan is to retire early and move into this as my retirement career.

too small, and not enough tools - THERE, now I feel better (NOT).

real nice setup, looks very well organized to allow you to work comfortably. I like that.

[/quote

The flow works very well, except that I haven't completed my assembly/outfeed/bending table yet. So, I have to take my clamps over to the make shift bench still for glue ups. The bench is next on my build list and then the assembly table.

It's always a pleasure to be invited into someone's shop - now I can spend a few hours studying each machine/table/configuration. Note to myself - must stop drooling over the keyboard...

If I ever find a Tardis on

craigslist for my broom closet... (old Dr. Who fan, sorry).

Thanks Vic - that smaller building to the left is where you keep the family? :P

Big Dr. Who fan here, too. Too bad BBC doesn't currently allow their programs to stream on the internet. I get all my entertainment that way. Fired the cable/satellite guys a few years ago.

Thats a nice man cave, maybe a little to clean :) I like the subs on the wall and Mighty Mouse humping the dust collector.

I had to watch the slide show three times before I saw him... I was too busy trying to trace the imaginary blueprint lines for copying... and running up that wishlist charge bill on Amazon...

• 1 month later...

I noticed that too. Maybe he lines them up and it makes his surfacing doubly efficient? I liked the hand planes lined up on the window sills too. Vic, it looks like you've got a lot of unused wall space! That's nice.

One (the upright) belongs to me, the other to my buddy that helped me build the shop. We use mine for wood of suspect origins and the other for nice stuff.

Hey Vic,

Nice shop! I love the wood floors.

So do the chisels that belong to the clutz. What I love most is that all my DC comes up and isn't in the way. Plus, I hate working or standing on concrete for very long. Did ya see Sylvia's pool out the two big windows on the hand tool side? That was the deal when we sold our old house. She got the pool and I got to build my dream shop. I scored on that deal! ;)