first router buying questions

gardnesd

In my opinion this Bosch model is. This is my 3rd router, and I like it the best of all three I have owned.

Reasons:

1. Variable speed
  2. mid range power (2-1/4hp)
  3. 2 bases (fixed & plunge)
  4. soft start
  5. decent price for what you get

From what I can tell most serious woodworkers have 2-4 routers of different sizes etc. What I want to know is what size router is a good starter for a newbie like myself? Make and model would be nice with your opinions. Thanks.

Start with a house brand kit from big blue (i.e. Kobalt) or big orange (i.e. Ryobi) and it's hard to go wrong. Something with a plunge base and a guide fence.

More important than the router itself, however, are the bits. Your primary routing chores will likely fall into these categories:

• Following a pattern/template. Ideally two bits, one bearing on top and one bearing on bottom
  • Adding a decorative profile. The sky's the limit, but a basic roundover is a good place to start. If you're working primarily with 3/4" thick wood, then a 1/4" roundover should do you well for a while.
  • Digging out mortises. Look for a spiral bit that cuts pointing up. Again, if you're working in 3/4" stock, you'll want 1/4" mortises, so get a 1/4" bit.

Good hunting and don't sweat the folks that have multiple routers. Routers tend to accumulate in pro and semi-pro outfits simply to avoid the downtime of changing and adjusting different bits.

I took a basic router class at my local Woodcraft. They covered a lot of this, and I feel more comfortable with my shopping for routers now. What I can offer I learned from them.

#1. Get the mid-model Festool. (okay, maybe not in your price range. But I'm liking it. Just not in my price range.)

In all cerealness:

@ Soft start

@ Plunge base (or dual base options)

@ options on multiple collets. Festool is the only one right now to offer three collets standard (apparently. Things may have changed since the class.), but not the only one to offer collets in 3/8", 1/2", and 8 millimeter.

@ at least 1 and 1/2 horsepower.

@ something with a hand grip lower, to keep control of the unit when you use it.

That said, I'm looking for two routers myself. The first is a trim router, basically dedicated to flush trimming operations and installing hinges. The second is the Festool 1400.

Does this mean I'm changing to the black and green? hardly. I'm waaaaay low on the income scale, so I won't just be up to my neck in systainers just yet. I'm just looking to upgrade effectively. Until I can afford the 1400, I'm going to continue to use the router I have access to now.

By the way, the bits are just as important. I've nothing against any particular brand (except, maybe, harbor freight's house brand), but I've been recommended Whiteside and Eagle America as the top two. I started my search for a new router because I purchased a bit my router couldn't take...

Dude, Im sorry. I intended to post in normit city. If it was posted in neaderthals please send a smoke signal and apologize to those guys when they're done with the Geico commercial.

No worries... I left a message...

Lascaux-aurochs.jpg

To at least join the thread, I'll add that I have the Bosch 1617EVS (previous model to the one Dan mentioned) and after 2+ years, I still think it is a great buy, best plunge base, best micro-adjuster... and the new one has a faster base switching capability. I use it in my router table now. I use a Festool OF-1400 now for hand-held due to its better dust collection, but a lot of things about that Bosch are equal to the Festool ('cept the price :) The edge guide on that Bosch is very good, too (at least the model I got; don't think they changed it, though).

I have 3 routers a 2 1/4 hp Ridgid HD has them for $199 it comes with a 1/4" and 1/2" collet fixed and plunge base. Oh and you cain't beat the life time warrenty. Also most Porter cable attachments fit it. My other router is a Dewalt 2 1/4 hp its just a motor with a 1/4" and 1/2" collet I have it mounted in a Kreg router lift for my router table. The final one I just got last week its a Dewalt dwp611 1 1/4 hp router it only has a 1/4" collet and a fixed base, but it is real easy to control. :D

From what I can tell most serious woodworkers have 2-4 routers of different sizes etc. What I want to know is what size router is a good starter for a newbie like myself? Make and model would be nice with your opinions. Thanks.

Really man I don't see why people need 2-4 routers you can only use 1 at a time, you don't see people have 2-4 table saws or 2-4 drill presses or miter saws so why do people have so many routers its not needed its more a luxury then a necessity.

Now I can understand the people that have 2 one for giant bits like raise panel bits etc instead of a shaper and one for regular use no one wants to be lugging around a 3 1/2 hp router to flush trim something but beyond that one router is more than enough if dont plan on using giant bits all the time.

The one I bought first was Skil 1825-RT 2-1/4-Horsepower 2-Inch Router Combo Kit with Site Light got it from a CPO site regular price $185.24 got it for $76.99 and honestly I as of yet still haven't found a need for another router.

I put the fixed base in a router table and use the plunge for hand held, Beyond the fact of having to spend 30 seconds switching out bits every now and then during a project 1 router has done me just fine for all routing tasks I have needed to do.

It is a luxury, but one I think a lot of people find useful. I have two myself, one for freehand work, and one in the router table.

Really man I don't see why people need 2-4 routers you can only use 1 at a time, you don't see people have 2-4 table saws or 2-4 drill presses or miter saws so why do people have so many routers its not needed its more a luxury then a necessity.

I have 3 routers a 2 1/4 hp Ridgid HD has them for $199 it comes with a 1/4" and 1/2" collet fixed and plunge base. Oh and you cain't beat the life time warrenty. Also most Porter cable attachments fit it. My other router is a Dewalt 2 1/4 hp its just a motor with a 1/4" and 1/2" collet I have it mounted in a Kreg router lift for my router table. The final one I just got last week its a Dewalt dwp611 1 1/4 hp router it only has a 1/4" collet and a fixed base, but it is real easy to control. :D

I was just playing with this router yesterday while waiting for some paint to be mixed. I am going to need something soon to replace my P.O.S. Ryobi (actually... it is a good first router and priced right).

The price on the Ridgid was great... and generally I like their stuff.

My only concern was the floor model seemed to hang up on the plunging action about 50% of the time. I would have to FORCE it down. Plus the lever to start the plunge action seemed awkwardly placed.

I could totally see getting used to where the lever is but do you have problems with the plunge base actually plunging?

I am willing to bet it is just a floor model that has had a bunch of dopes like me forcing it down.

I was just playing with this router yesterday while waiting for some paint to be mixed. I am going to need something soon to replace my P.O.S. Ryobi (actually... it is a good first router and priced right).

The price on the Ridgid was great... and generally I like their stuff.

My only concern was the floor model seemed to hang up on the plunging action about 50% of the time. I would have to FORCE it down. Plus the lever to start the plunge action seemed awkwardly placed.

I could totally see getting used to where the lever is but do you have problems with the plunge base actually plunging?

I am willing to bet it is just a floor model that has had a bunch of dopes like me forcing it down.

I haven't had any problems with mine hanging up when I'm plunging. The floor models probably get dropped 5 or 6 times a day which puts a slight bend in the base and causes it to hang up. I was at Woodcraft this morning and watched a guy drop a Festool that he was playing with. As long as you don't buy the floor model, it will work just fine. :D