Wood ID App

Fxguy

With "help ID this wood" posts fairly common, other than the I.D. Wood app for iOS, does anyone know of an app that can take a picture (or multiple pictures) of lumber and then either identify it or at least suggest a few possibilities to help narrow it down? I've got a ton of lumber scraps of various lengths and I'd love to be able to figure out which are pine, poplar, maple, or cherry. 

Anyone know of anything? 

Fortunately at this point I know that all the scraps in my bin are either pine, poplar, maple, cherry, or cedar. The cherry and cedar are pretty easy to identify and differentiate for me. The maple isn't too bad either, its figuring out the ones that could be poplar or pine that I would struggle with. 

Fortunately at this point I know that all the scraps in my bin are either pine, poplar, maple, cherry, or cedar. The cherry and cedar are pretty easy to identify and differentiate for me. The maple isn't too bad either, its figuring out the ones that could be poplar or pine that I would struggle with.

If you struggle with their visuals then you could do a smell test. Pine has a very distinct scent. Just scratch and sniff.. Like the stickers :)

If you struggle with their visuals then you could do a smell test. Pine has a very distinct scent. Just scratch and sniff.. Like the stickers :)

Is that true of even old dirty and dusty pine? I thought the scent was really only with fresh pine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this today. the site is a work in progress but they have a lot of pretty useful info on wood.  the website is also not terribly organized so the link below is to the "physical properties" page and if you scroll down there are links to wood tables categorized by hard and soft woods.  It took me some doing to navigate this site but it's possible to do and I at least found the info useful

http://workshopcompanion.com/KnowHow/Wood/Hardwoods_&_Softwoods/3_Physical_Properties/3_Physical_Properties.htm#openclosedgrain

thought it might be helpful here as the site has a lot of pics of each wood with different finishes to help ID what you're looking at. 

Very nice link, one feature I like is the finishes, giving an example pic of each wood with various finishes, only problem is its like 5 different types of finish. Anyone know of a site that has sample pics of various woods and colors for finishes? 

I'm not sure that's really something that you could provide sample images for.  There are a lot of color variations per finish type across all of the brand manufacturers.  And then it further complicates things in that the more coats you apply the deeper the color of the finish.

I suggest using photoshop(or gimp, which is free) in conjunction with the images from the website.  For instance, if you wanted an amber shellac on cherry then you get the 'shellac on cherry' picture from the website.  Then roughly get the amber color of the shellac you're using.  Then apply semi-transparent overlays of that color on top of the image from the website.  You can simulate applying more coats of finish to deepen the color application by applying multiple layers of the semi-transparent mask.

• Like 1