Making your own custom screwdrivers

markhochstein

I guess this is an old thread but the OP asked us to post our custom drivers. Here are some drivers that I designed a couple years ago. They are not wood handled but they are custom designed from scratch. I didn't make them either. I actually had a machine shop make the parts. To offset the cost of the machinig, I made 150 kits and sold them through out the years. To me these are the best drivers money can buy. I designed them with all the features I felt would make them so.

The handle is what makes the driver. It is the interface between you and the blade. A couple of features that I thought would be useful include, a pivoting end-cap that rests in the palm of you hand. This allows for rapid driving while keeping pressure on the blade. The cap is supported by a delrin bushing for minimal resistance. Other features include, color coding so you know what size the driver is at a glance, a breaker bar hole for those stubborn screws, flutes along the length of the handle so the doesn't roll of the bench. The hex tips are precision ground from high quality drill blanks and are very hard. This is so that they will stay sharp indefinately.

Originally the kit was a six piece metric kit including 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm, 4.0mm, 5.0mm. Recently I made a custom tailored kit for my collection of Festool tools. For all the blades other than the hex blades, I cut from existing drivers and ground flats on them to work with my handles. The kit includes the following drivers 2.5mm, 3.0mm, 4.0mm, 5.0mm, Phillips, Spade, T10, T15, T20.

_MG_2994.jpg

Here are some gratuitous shots of the drivers in use.

_MG_3009.jpg

_MG_3007.jpg

_MG_3006.jpg

_MG_3005.jpg

_MG_3003.jpg

_MG_3002.jpg

_MG_3001.jpg

_MG_3000.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased the full kit from Lee Valley. I have made several practice handles (nothing that I am willing to show yet) but I am coming closer. Since I don't have a jaw chuck yet I will have to do my turning between centers. However I have read through your post and it will be very helpful in making my own. Roger and Tim in the chatroom have been very helpful as well on how to proceed to turn these between centers. I will make updates with my progress.

• 9 months later...

Wow Darnell those are beautiful. I saw your post on your blog back a week or so ago, it looks like your metal working skills are catching up to your woodworking abilities. Those screw drivers look to nice to use, thanks for posting. Dave

here is a screw driver i just made for a doller.

DSCN0171.jpg

i have seen turning project kits for screw drivers that cost anywhere from 6-10 dollers but i found a set for a doller.

menards is selling 6-1 screw drivers for 1.00 so i took the screw driver turned off the metal insert from the plastic handle. i then made a fancy wood handle that i mounted the insert too. then i stuck a piece of coper pipe on the outside and tada i have a extreamly expensive looking screwdriver that cost me less then a doller because the wood was given to me from a friend.goin to go back and put down some more green and buy like 20-40 screwdrivers. figure the end cost is going to be 2-3 dollers for wood, screwdriver, and finish. thinking ill try and sell for 15-20 dollers

• 3 weeks later...

I am wanting to do this project very badly! I am buying my Shanks from Lee Valley today. I haven't turned a whole lot but I will refine my skill before tackling the real deal. Is there a better wood to use over another? I would love to make them out of some type of rare expensive wood. Where could I go and buy some type of rare wood for this project?

This thread is going to be a great reference for my project and I will definitely post my photos up! Thanks for the inspiration!

go to menards and buy a cheaper screwdriver like i did.

This isn't such a great idea in my book. A crappy screwdriver with a fancy handle is still a crappy screwdriver. If you're going to go to all the trouble to make a nice handle, seems to me like you should stick a decent blade in it.

-- Russ

the bits that came with it were cheap had one break on me i just replaced them with better quality tips. bought a box full of quality tips at damaged packaging store. the shaft is just as good as the one lee valley sells after all its just a metal shaft with a hex center and little prongs on the side that fit into a slot thats built into you handle. been using my screw driver prity much all the time this last month because im installing electrical and new dust collection pipes in the shop so thats alot of removing screws and puting new ones in.