Shaker Cupboard

jlloydparks

I had the opportunity to take a short weekend class with Chris Schwarz. It was a handtool bootcamp in which we turned out small shaker cupboard. The class was great. It was a lot of basics, but I still was able to pull away a few tricks. The shaker cupboard was a really great project. One of the greatest things was to use nails to clinch the battens for the doors. If you have never used clinched nails before I suggest you look for a project to try them out on. We used clout nails to attach the back. I really like the look of the clout nails. This will allow the back to move without blowing the thing apart. I put a coat of salem red milk paint on today, I figure one or two more coats and I can call it done.

DSCN2675.JPGDSCN2679.JPGDSCN2678.JPG

It was a great handtool project. I think the most amazing thing was the small toolkit, I think I used less than a dozen tools to make the cabinet (I used a block, smooth and jack plane). I bet some guys came in under 8 tools total (some only used a smooth plane for everything). It made me realize that most woodworkers don't need another tool to complete a project they just need to learn to use the tools they have.

It was a great handtool project. I think the most amazing thing was the small toolkit, I think I used less than a dozen tools to make the cabinet (I used a block, smooth and jack plane). I bet some guys came in under 8 tools total (some only used a smooth plane for everything). It made me realize that most woodworkers don't need another tool to complete a project they just need to learn to use the tools they have.

Seriously hoping my wife never reads this or I'm in big BIG trouble.

What I think is really cool is that you took the time to bookmatch the back of the cabinet. No one's going to see it, but you did it anyway. Very cool.

Were these boards resawn for this project?

Also, will the nail heads on the front of the cabinet door be visible after painting with milk paint, or do you expect the paint not to adhere to the nail heads?

Wilbur,

I have two coats on the cupboard now and the milk paint is adhering to the nails. I plan on one more coat then burnishing the paint with a white scotchbrite pad and steel wool. I will then put a couple of coats of wiping varnish over it similar to the finish on Windsor chairs. I plan on putting it in the guest bathroom as a soap and washcloth holder hence I want some moisture protection. After it is finished you will still be able to see the nails, there may be some red on them, but it will wear away quickly. Chris showed us a picture of the original which was also painted red and you could clearly see the nails.

The back was resawed and bookmatched. We didn't do the resawing it was done before we arrived. The back is only 1/4" thick material. I did position the knots so you can see them when you open the door like two eyes looking at you. They are still visible under the paint to some extent. If you can resaw you probably could make this out a single 4/4 poplar board that is 6.5" wide and 5' long. There isn't much wood in the thing and yet it has taken a lot of paint.