Oak Wood for Scroll Saw Puzzles

apgandriddle

So I just picked up several good size logs from an Oak tree recently cut down (past 2 days), and I am not sure if I should let them dry out completely BEFORE I start cutting them down to planks, or if it is okay as they are? My projects are to make several Rhino puzzle figures on the scroll saw. They will be used at the local youth group as something to play around with when they arrive every night. I am new to woodworking other than wood carving, so I figured I would ask the more experienced and knowledgeable crowd. Thank you for the help!

Mike Nunez

• Like 1

logs are typically slabbed (aka rough sawn) while green then allowed to dry before working into a finished product.   make sure to cut them thicker than needed; after they dry you'll be able to take them down to finished thickness.  1" thick slabs can take up to a year to dry; sometimes less depending on how they are stored (air flow, temp, etc)/

Welcome to the forum :)

• Like 1

logs are typically slabbed (aka rough sawn) while green then allowed to dry before working into a finished product.   make sure to cut them thicker than needed; after they dry you'll be able to take them down to finished thickness.  1" thick slabs can take up to a year to dry; sometimes less depending on how they are stored (air flow, temp, etc)/

Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you for the help! I actually am going to cut them this weekend down to size, and then set them out to dry. I really need to build a sun kiln, but that will be a bit down the road. 

Related to this topic my brother is looking to make a live edge table he has some oak and maple logs he felled 2 or 3 years ago he wanted to saw them an basically use them right away.  I warned him that he may have moisture issues but not having any experience with this  i was wondering if anyone has advice on it.  He did look to buy a live edge slab in this area and the lumber yard wanted $700 for an oak slab abut 2" thick 20" wide and 3' long i thought that sounded a little steep.  $70 a BF but again not having dealt with it in the past I wasn't sure if that wasn't right if it is that will probably keep me away from live edge work.