Which bandsaw do I want ?

tcarswell

The price is almost identical with the different deals at grizzly right now

I can get either the g0555lanv the go555lx or the go555 or even the go555p

Are cast iron wheels better than the aluminum ones on the standard go555 I believe the go555lx has the upgraded wheels but the list price is lower ?!

+1 on cast iron wheels for the same reason T stated.

It looks like the differences on the 555P are you get it with a coat of white paint, slightly different blade speeds, left tilt to 15 degrees (only 10 on the LX)  and aluminium wheels . It's also about 50 pounds lighter.

If it was my money and I wanted a 14" bandsaw then the 555LX would be the one I would choose for a home shop especially with the free shipping they are offering.

If it was my money and I wanted a 14" bandsaw then the 555LX would be the one I would choose for a home shop especially with the free shipping they are offering.

What if you expanded to include non-Grizzly? Is the 555LX at 525 worth getting versus something like saving up for the Laguna 14/12 or some other one?

I know for everyone on here the table saw is the center of their shop, however for me it's the bandsaw. I use it for quick cuts of all kinds, making bowl blanks circles, etc. I have more hours on my bandsaw than on my table saw. I had a 3/4HP 15" Grizzly until last year and I looked at the 550 line and wound up buying a Rikon 14-325 which was on sale at woodcraft for 799 and it has more power, more resaw capacity, and I think a better overall saw, I like the frame design better than the Delta frame design. However if I had to do it all over again I would have waited 6 more months and bought the Laguna 14-12. 

With the deals going on with Grizzly, definitely get one that has the cast iron wheels.  That said, I have the G0555P, which has the aluminum wheels, and get no vibration.  The nickel test passes every time.  For a 14" band saw,  I would list cast iron wheels as a nice to have, but not necessarily a must have, as long as the aluminum wheels are of a decent quality.  For bigger band saws, I will agree the cast iron wheels become much more important.   If you are under a tight budget, and looking at 14" saws, I would focus on making sure you get a 1HP or 1.5 HP motor, a fence, and a good blade.

And to echo what others have said, I do use my band saw for a lot more than cutting curves.  I have found myself using it for rips very frequently, especially for cuts that may be too dangerous on the table saw.