Toyboxes to be made in Santa's workshop.

wouldwurker

You're right. And Not enough waste hogged out I think. Too little clearance. Going to take a jigsaw to the rest of em tomorrow and get closer to my line.

Thanks man. When my heart starts beating again, I'll come back down to the shop tomorrow.

lol - I hear ya!  It's also important to take light passes.  It's ok to not get it all in one pass.

Don't need a jig...just set some scrap on your bench to lift the piece enough to allow clearance for the bearing.  Make sure it's clamped down well.  Or just let the handle part hang off your bench so it's completely open underneath.  But you need a bottom-bearing pattern bit anyway...

Why couldn't I just flip the piece over so the template was on the bottom?

No, you absolutely can...and I don't really agree that it would raise the pucker factor.  I've done it and it's no big deal.  I'm just saying you should have a bottom-bearing bit for times like this when it would be better than a flush-trim bit, that's all.  You don't need one for this, I would just prefer it, personally.

And if you did use a bottom-bearing bit, you wouldn't have to worry about lifting the workpiece off the bench for clearance...you could just route into a backer board by a hair.

Kev was right, I'd get the comfort level eventually...only took 5 of them.

Now that I have the hang of it, I wish I had 10 more to do instead of 2

It's just like anything else VJ, once you do it a few times you figure out what works and what doesn't.  You figure out where your comfort zone is..

• Like 1

Pretty sweet, VJ.  I wish I had a dedicated sanding station.  Alas, I haven't the space for that.  I at least need to build some kind of rolling cart to hold all my sanders and paper and sanding doodads and knickknacks.  They're kind of scattered all over the shop.