Provenance/History packet for buyer

Vic

It's fairly well know that woodworking blogs and podcasts are written and mostly watched by other woodworkers. Today, my wife, Sylvia suggested that is mostly because the average person isn't that interested in woodworking as a whole. If they don't intend to do woodworking they aren't probably going to watch a podcast or read a blog. However, she believes the same doesn't hold true to buyers interest in the history behind the origin of a piece regarding design and execution that they actually purchase. Her idea is to use the same information that would be used for a blog and provide that as a added perk to the buyer. I hadn't really thought about it, but when we bought an old house, it came with a rich history and packet of details. As we renovated it, we chronicled what we did and passed all this to the new owners who were quite excited to receive it.

What do you think. A good marketing tool? A waste of time and energy?

I think that's a great idea for restored pieces or for pieces made from reclaimed lumber (other than pallets). For new pieces, might be more challenging and require some research especially if it's your own design (what influenced your design choices etc.)

Interesting thoughts though. I'll have to chew that one over some more. I like it!

I think that anyone buying custom woodworking would want to know who made it and when, what species of wood were used, what finish was used, and maybe something about why those were chosen. Think about the blurbs you get at a fancy restaurant. They don't say "Arctic Char", they say, "Farm Raised Arctic Char, Green Meadow Farm Swiss Chard, Kennet Square Wild Mushrooms, Caramelised Butternut Squash, Creamy Whole Grain Mustard Spaetzle". Details about why the materials or techniques are special would help them better appreciate the piece.

PS: Arctic Char description used without permission from the menu of "The White Dog" restaurant in Philadelphia.

I think your wife has a good plan. In many of my remodels I will incorporate something from the old room and the homeowners love it. Right now I'm building medicine cabinets with reclaimed wood and will only purchase new the hinges and the mirror. I plan to mention this when I market them for sale.

There are buyers who could care less about the history or process. But there are many who feel like time is moving at warp speed in the digital age and you are giving them a bit of history to hold onto. These are the same people who will appreciate your dedication and workmanship.

Good thread and good luck!

Mark

My wife has many great ideas. I thought this made sense and have since heard a couple successful builders somewhat touch on the why, without actually using this particular idea in what they are talking about. Yesterday, I listened to Adam King's interview with Michael Fortune. One of the things Fortune said was that his clients never mind him borrowing his pieces back to show in a gallery, as they can tell their friends. This morning I read an article on FWW about Brian Bogg's new business model and one of the things he mentioned "... a maker's Web site should covey all of these value points, and also have videos of the process, joints coming together, etc., so people can share in it."

It must be like buying a new car. You never notice how many are out in the world until you do.

Hello Vic....and Sylvia

When it comes to making a custom piece I think any future owner would treasure information that pertains to the original construction, how the design came to mind, what prompted the investment into this particular piece, choice of wood, etc.

I know a guy that's currently building a crib for a friend :rolleyes: and I just know that including a history and progress "report" (with pictures) will add a wonderful lineage to that crib, years down the road.

The idea of a video interview with the craftsman and builder, would make fascinating watching in the future as the piece comes into the possession of the next generation(s).

The "presentation folder" could include not only a DVD with the interview, but some of the original sketchings as the shape took place and was revised, etc.

What about the idea of including some kind of a small drawer or compartment at the bottom of the crib where this information would stay and accompany the crib? That way it doesn't become separated and lost.

Obviously I've focussed my comments here on a crib but the same concept holds true for other furniture or even a house.

Keep up the good work

Hello Vic....and Sylvia

When it comes to making a custom piece I think any future owner would treasure information that pertains to the original construction, how the design came to mind, what prompted the investment into this particular piece, choice of wood, etc.

I know a guy that's currently building a crib for a friend :rolleyes: and I just know that including a history and progress "report" (with pictures) will add a wonderful lineage to that crib, years down the road.

The idea of a video interview with the craftsman and builder, would make fascinating watching in the future as the piece comes into the possession of the next generation(s).

The "presentation folder" could include not only a DVD with the interview, but some of the original sketchings as the shape took place and was revised, etc.

What about the idea of including some kind of a small drawer or compartment at the bottom of the crib where this information would stay and accompany the crib? That way it doesn't become separated and lost.

Obviously I've focussed my comments here on a crib but the same concept holds true for other furniture or even a house.

Keep up the good work

A designated place for the packet is a great idea. I don't think I have time to incorporate that into this build, but will definitely consider that in future builds.

I thought the bottom of the crib was a piece of ply giving a flat surface while the bottom of the crib is kinda coopered. Couldn't you put something in that recess? Cut a square 'door' in the middle of the ply, attach a lipping underneath the opening , 4 rare earth magnets epoxied to the corners, finger hole in the door. You could put that stuff there, but also the new parents could tuck away "time capsule" stuff in there.

I thought the bottom of the crib was a piece of ply giving a flat surface while the bottom of the crib is kinda coopered. Couldn't you put something in that recess? Cut a square 'door' in the middle of the ply, attach a lipping underneath the opening , 4 rare earth magnets epoxied to the corners, finger hole in the door. You could put that stuff there, but also the new parents could tuck away "time capsule" stuff in there.

Paul, I didn't end up going with a coopered bottom. As I could (easily) figure out how in regard to wood movement. If you know of a good way, please explain over on the Critique Page >> Gretchin's Cradle. I went with a flat bottom out of birch.

The "presentation folder" could include not only a DVD with the interview.

Keep in mind that in 25 years trying to play a video on a DVD might be like trying to read a WordPerfect document on a 5-1/4" floppy. If you just want to impress people for the next ten years or so, then that's fine, but if you want to make something that will last as long as the piece of furniture, I'd recommend going with high quality paper and ink in a plastic sleeve. Librarians and comic book geeks know the right kind of sleeves (acid free, etc).

Keep in mind that in 25 years trying to play a video on a DVD might be like trying to read a WordPerfect document on a 5-1/4" floppy. If you just want to impress people for the next ten years or so, then that's fine, but if you want to make something that will last as long as the piece of furniture, I'd recommend going with high quality paper and ink in a plastic sleeve. Librarians and comic book geeks know the right kind of sleeves (acid free, etc).

Good point. Now I suppose you're going to tell me my 8-track collection is "so yesterday"? :rolleyes:

I guess one way to preserve it is the Internet. Type it up, forward it to 10 of your friends. Put in there "Forward this to 10 of your friends or your left nu... uhm, something will drop off". Guaranteed that for the rest of your life, that email will reappear in your inbox every 6 months. The cool kids call it technology agnostic.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the idea of a paper --"one-sheet" with the provenance of the piece. Nice pieces of furniture tend to be conversation starters...rather than your customer saying, "Oh yeah, we got it from...what's that's guy's name?" They can pull out the sheet and show it to their friends...great for their conversation and your business prospects. Moreover, I don't think people have a true appreciation how things are made--a few pics throughout the process (I always take pics of the pile of clamps during the glue-up) may help them to understand the time and skill involved. Not only can they get the history of the piece and probably a greater understanding of the wood/process