Rikon 50-122 6" x 48" Belt / 10" Disc Sander Review

Firehawk

I bought myself a Rikon combo belt and disc sander with some birthday money.  It is currently on sale at Woodcraft for $249 and lists for $329.

post-4076-0-44862300-1418001295_thumb.jp

The 50-122 (shown above) has a stamped steel base versus the cast iron base on the 50-120 (shown below).  It weighs in at 68 pounds  compared to the 105 pounds of the 50-120.  Part of the weight reduction is the aluminum table, again compared to cast iron of the 50-120.post-4076-0-22073900-1418001451_thumb.jp

The unit required very little assembly, other than the stand which I elected not to use because I felt it was a little short for my liking.  The disc table went on easily and took little effort to set square.

The unit was fairly quite and virtually vibration free.  This surprised me considering the weight reduction of the previous model.  I thought dust collection was marginal until I tried it without running my shop vac. I was also please that the belt required no adjustment and tracked very well.

All in all I believe the 50-122 is the better value over the 50-120. The 50-122 has a list price $170 below the 50-120 and with Woodcraft's sale price is $250 less.  By the way both units have a five year warranty.  This is the first Rikon machine I have purchased and I an very happy with it. Here is a picture of mine on an extra stand that I had.

post-4076-0-36697300-1418003122_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the 50-120 for several years.  It is a beast and I use it daily.  The dust collection is abysmal, I agree, only a marginal fraction over nothing at all.  Besides the body shape of the two units I think the biggest factor is the table.  The 50-120 has a nice, heavy cast-iron table and the redesign (50-122) does not.

Overall, I think Rikon tools represent a good value.

miw

I picked this up today. My one gripe is the 2" dust port, why couldn't they do 2.5" so it could connect to my shop vac/dust deputy setup, or to my dust collector via reducer. 

I also received 1 bolt that was not threaded for the stand. 

My Grizz unit is the same thing..  DC is horrible at best.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...