Multifunction toy chest ( a la wood whisperer)

wouldwurker

Putting in the panels BEFORE painting? :huh:

They're not frame in panel; rather, screwed into the inside with cleats.  Since inevitably the whiteboard will be destroyed at some point, it's a good idea in the design that it's not permanent and can be replaced. 

Cleats and panel will be removed before painting.

If the inside gets painted, the cleats will be painted as well.

I've got an order for one of these after Christmas for a friend who has a recent new born. Interested to see how long it takes you Vinny. I'm going to use those fancy hinges with a spring in. I think Marc used them on his. My friend wants his just varnished instead of paint so I may edge band.

Terry, if you do decide to edge band the tops of the two side pieces of ply on the ends, make sure to deduct the edging thickness from the total height of the ply so the total height is still 14.5" after edging (because it's also the lid support).  If the edging is an afterthought, you'd be SOL post glue-up and the lid wouldn't sit flush.

post-15261-0-17698500-1419260204_thumb.j

Terry, if you do decide to edge band the tops of the two side pieces of ply on the ends, make sure to deduct the edging thickness from the total height of the ply so the total height is still 14.5" after edging (because it's also the lid support).  If the edging is an afterthought, you'd be SOL post glue-up and the lid wouldn't sit flush.

Ah. I see Vinny. Thanks for the heads up.

The plan calls for cleats to hold in the panels, with the top cleat being optional.

Again,the advantage here is that you can swap out the panel when say... permanent marker is used on it

Mine absolutely needed a top cleat, as a little pressure at the top would make the panel push inward. A rectangular cleat however seemed to get in the way of little hands reaching in.

ff830fa6348707246c697d01b185bf7d.jpg

Digging in my scrap bin, I found that the off cut from the curves I did earlier were perfect...

c566f6403dc933c01e93439afd84fa62.jpg

Some rough bandsaw marks, but bonus got to break out the new spokeshave!

6ed0373d3d6677ba403732b0aed53e70.jpg

268802ad027276bef73b8a69424855ce.jpg

Finished It last night....showed my in-laws.  Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Hey Hey - just finished the toychest. <dramatically unveils toychest> What do you think?

Mother in Law: Can he suffocate in there if he climbs in...I don't see any air holes.  Are there air holes?  <frantically looks for air holes>

Me: Um, no...also, we don't leave our 1 year old unattended.  And it's a toybox, not a turtle habitat.    So anyyyyyway….. these long sweeping decorative curves here also prevent his fingers from getting pinched.

Father in law: Well he could pinch his finger here and here.  (points to the half-inch corners of the lid that sit flush to the case)

Me: Ok....good talk.

• Like 2

Oh, I didn't mention?  Yeah, I installed an pressurized airlock system between the interior and exterior, a la Aliens.  Cost me an extra $10,000.  Surprised actually, that Rocker even carried the kit.  They had an installation jig as well, but it was $11...screw that

I see you read the first page of the jig manual.  :D

Before I do a little roundover and a chamfer on this, do you think there's a place on the lid where a beading bit detail might look nice? Or maybe a rabbet detail. I'm creative, but I don't have the kind of brain that can picture something before it's done.

The case itself is beyond router table work. And my timeline is too short to do it by hand.

Thanks