Serving tray or platter

susieq4131

I've had several requests for serving trays and platters. I'm on vacation this week so decided to give it a try. Tray is 11 3/4 inches in diameter. Wood is maple. Glued up the wood on the edge grain.

Made a pattern with 2 circles - one inside the other Outer circle is 12 inches in diameter. Inside circle is 11 1/2 inches in diameter. Wood is 18mm thick. Ring width is 1/2 inch. Angle to cut is 36 degrees. Blade is #9 skip tooth.

Cut outside circle at 36 degrees.

Make entry hole and cut inside circle at 36 degrees.

Sand inside of ring at 36 degrees using tilting spindle sander until entry mark is gone.

Glue ring to base of platter. (Titebond III works well.)

Once dry, sand outside of platter on spindle sander.

At this point - I decided I wanted the base of the platter a little thinner. So I turned it upside down and ran it through the planer which made the piece a little lighter in weight. :)

Finish sand and apply food grade mineral oil.

I plan to make more of these and fill with homemade cookies, fudge, etc. Thought these would make nice holiday gifts.

SQ

post-1522-0-94898600-1289938681_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-04096600-1289938741_thumb.jp

I plan to make more of these and fill with homemade cookies, fudge, etc. Thought they would make nice holiday gifts.

SQ

Thank you for thinking of me this holiday season. Here is my address.....

LOL Thanks. Appreciate the kind words.

I have made several different sized bowl presses which have holes on the top. The hole is for making sure everything is aligned and also so I can remove the excess glue. Picture attached. Because this piece was so thin it was a bit hard to get inside and wipe off the excess glue but I did manage. I plan to make more of these so will have to improve this space issue. Thinking another piece of plywood - with a hole in the middle, that sits on top of the platter - which the top of the bowl press will sit on, will give me more room to work.

SQ

post-1522-0-02044800-1289940592_thumb.jp

I plan on making a couple candy dishes in the near future with hopes that they, well actually me, will be filled with bars and cookies, just no so much that I am mistaken for Santa. Very nice pics.

Nate

Thanks. Love all the goodies. Impossible to resist. :) Candy dishes - that's a good idea. Might have to give that idea some thought. :D

SQ

Wonderful tray, Susie! Very clever. Hmm, I haven't seen an OSS that tilts! That could be useful. Love the look of the wood pieces continuing from the base through the sides.

I also like the clamping system you made. You could really crank down on it! For the squeeze-out problem you mentioned on a thin tray, could you slice the bottom piece of your clamp into 3 strips? Initially you clamp the tray with all 3 pieces then after the glue snots up a bit, you could loosen and remove one third, wipe, put back. Walk your way through the three. Hmm, dunno. Definitely gonna revisit all your scroll saw projects posted here when I get one!!

Wonderful tray, Susie! Very clever. Hmm, I haven't seen an OSS that tilts! That could be useful. Love the look of the wood pieces continuing from the base through the sides.

I also like the clamping system you made. You could really crank down on it! For the squeeze-out problem you mentioned on a thin tray, could you slice the bottom piece of your clamp into 3 strips? Initially you clamp the tray with all 3 pieces then after the glue snots up a bit, you could loosen and remove one third, wipe, put back. Walk your way through the three. Hmm, dunno. Definitely gonna revisit all your scroll saw projects posted here when I get one!!

Thanks! Really appreciate it. It's kind of like making a very short bowl. I like how easy it is , compared to a bowl. :D

The tilting spindle sander is a Jet. The tilting spindle sanders are harder to find. Not many choices. As for the press, it has to be the same pressure all around the piece to get an even glue up. Your idea is a thought. I've got an oval platter gluing up right now and need to get this issue resolved before it goes into the press. For someone that likes quantities of glue - such as myself, it's critical to have the room to wipe off the excess. :D

SQ