help on the next build

gardnesd

I just did a Google search for drop front desk and found a few plans. Not sure if they are what you are looking for. They may just give you ideas on where to start. Maybe it is time to break out some sketchup?? There are lots of people around here that could help you through the process if you ask nicely. Good luck.

Apparently this is my next project. Looked in the sketchup warehouse and didn't see anything like it. Is there a specific name for this type of desk? Can I buy planse somewhere that is somewhat similar?

That is a very poor example of a slant front desk. They were a popular form in the 18th century. I'd suggest looking in books of museum collections for ideas. You don't have to build it in 18th century high style. You can certainly simplify it and make it more contemporary looking, but note the proportions of the 18th century examples. They were proportioned much better than the one in Pottery Barn.

Here's a Google Image search for "slant front desk". There are several much better examples in these images.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS379US380&biw=1419&bih=612&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=slant+front+desk&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=t&oq=&gs_rfai=

Check out the one david is working on.

http://www.justsquar...-1-kickoff.html

You probably could drop the top.

Was going to mention the Charles Neil "Mastering Woodworking" guild is currently building a slant-front secretary desk. If you don't want some of the stylistic elements, you could modify the plans pretty easily. His guild rocks; when he shows you how to do something for the build, he works through possible problems, fixes, and usually a couple ways to accomplish the same thing depending on your shop's equipment. I think 4 weeks have gone by on this build; if you joined, you'd have access to those previous hour+ long videos.

Highly recommended.

At coincidence would have it, I went to put away a stack of books I bought off a friend at a ridiculous price. One is "Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture" by Thomas Moser. There are 4 slant-top desks inside with a lot of plans. They are just drawings with measurements so this isn't a cut-list-walk-through like some magazine articles... so it should be more fun :) This is the 1985 edition; unsure if there were additional.

Tell me more about charles niel's guild. It seems the "back" episodes are only available for a charge even after you join. I suppose that makes sense since he only has a monthly option. I am a member of Marc's guild and enjoy looking back on previous episodes. I guess my question is, how far along are they on the slant front desk? And how much are the previous episodes each. Must have missed that on the website.

There are currently 5 episodes posted. You get access from the first day you sign up so if you sign up on a Wednesday you'd get access to the next episode posted on Thursday. If you want access to the previous 5 episodes (in this case), send email to Sherri to find out how much they cost. When he started the "guild" of sorts, the idea was that you'd pay the same amount of "back subscription" cost to cover the episodes (so 5 episodes is a month and a quarter so 1.25*$19.95 would be it). However, that might have changed. Send Sherri email to ask. You get an hour of content each week, sometimes more. There's always a lot of excellent material.