southern yellow pine

gardnesd

I've had folks tell me, "you live in the south use syp for your shop furniture" etc. I'm a little new to the game and am wondering how does syp come? Is it dimenisional lumber? Is it offered at the big box? mom and pop lumber yard???

I would not know this if I wasn't reading Schwarz's workbench book. Yup SYP is dimensional southern yellow pine.

He says to get 2x12s. Even if you want a 2x4 get the 2x12 and rip it down because the better wood is used in the 2x12.

I haven't check mine (nashville) but it should be available at your big box.

I've used SYP for a lot of my shop furniture, built a workbench out of it as well using one of Chris Schwarz's plans. It's easily found at the big box stores in Texas at least, and while it takes some searching for good stock (straight, not a lot of knots etc.) it works well and is very strong for a softwood. Its a little more expensive than SPF but its worth it. I would recommend working with 2x6 stock or bigger though (it cuts and planes well). 2x4 stock tends to be harder to find straight boards and it seems to have more knots in it.

We had a huge pallet of it at the train restoration shed where I volunteered. Had it specially shipped up here. Some pieces were at thick as 12x12 and 20 feet long. It was the closest we could get to the original stuff. I was amazed at how clear and how heavy it was for being pine. Definitely a lot better than the fir we get around here. I could definitely see using it for benches and so on.