pocket screw joinery

Godet

So, with the holidays coming, I've got a lot of ideas and commitments for projects. Several projects are intended as very functional, non-showy furniture and I'm thinking about trying pocket screws to save time and get projects out the door. Anybody have thoughts on the integrity of this tool? Also, is the learning curve gradual enough that I actually would save time, or am I just going to end up spending learning a new technique instead of making mortise and tenons?

• Like 1

The learning curve is about 5 minutes from opening the box to screwing the two pieces together I didnt even read the instructions the principle is so simple. I just bought the $34 dollar kit and it works like a champ I did consider the $99 dollar kit but didnt feel I would be using it enough to justify it and haven't had any regrets the quality is good and the bit/driver is good quality.

So, with the holidays coming, I've got a lot of ideas and commitments for projects. Several projects are intended as very functional, non-showy furniture and I'm thinking about trying pocket screws to save time and get projects out the door. Anybody have thoughts on the integrity of this tool? Also, is the learning curve gradual enough that I actually would save time, or am I just going to end up spending learning a new technique instead of making mortise and tenons?

I've got a couple of Kreg pocket jigs. Even the most modest version works great, and is a technique I use often. A good M&T or dovetail joint is more impressive to look at, and have been tested to be stronger, but pocket holes are strong enough for many applications, and are really easy to use.

I have several of Kregs products. I started with their small Rocket jig and I now use a foreman machine. The Pocket hole is very easy to master and use. The customer service that they offer is second to none and their products are very sturdy. In my opinion the pocket hole with glue is just as strong as a M&T. Although their not that pretty to look at. :)

Probably overkill for you - but I think this is pretty cool: http://www.toolsnob....ik_jig_pock.php

I love pocket screws for quick stuff - butt joint, screw. Nothing simpler.

Thanks, guys. Great info and advice...ordered the Kreg kit this morning. This will definitely help me knock out some of the less attractive projects that just need to get done. I love joints and sneaking up on the perfect fit, but I also have a serious day job...I'll save the beautiful joints for the projects that need them.

Thanks, guys. Great info and advice...ordered the Kreg kit this morning. This will definitely help me knock out some of the less attractive projects that just need to get done. I love joints and sneaking up on the perfect fit, but I also have a serious day job...I'll save the beautiful joints for the projects that need them.

Way to go. I'm a bit late to the post, but I'll second everyone else in saying that pocket hole jigs, especially Kreg sets, are fantastic. The only learning curve I've encountered with the is to go easy driving the screw. They can be over driven & strip out if you're not careful. Other than that they are incredibly easy & quick.

One more note, though not comparable in terms of price or overall joint construction time, my Festool Domino has proven to match the speed of my Kreg jig if I don't count the clamping time. As long as I'm gluing up & then leaving the shop, I find myself leaning towards my Domino lately.

Happy pocket holing,

Dyami