Porter Cable PCB660DP depth stop improvements?

daviddoria

Hi guys. I've been really happy with this drill press, except for one aspect. There are some points (just a couple, it works as expected in most positions) on the depth stop threaded rod at which the depth stop doesn't actually make the travel stop. That is, you can keep pulling the handle and the stop collar will slide up the threaded rod rather than stop the quill from coming down. I guess what is happening is the spring in their stop mechanism (the glorified nut that moves up and down on the threaded rod) is not engaging with enough pressure to lock the threads from the "nut" to the threads on the rod. Obviously, this can have disasterous consequences when drilling stopped holes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it make sense to just use a nut or something (assuming those threads are standard?) instead of the spring loaded "stop" that comes with it?

Any other suggestions for how to fix or replace this?

Thanks,

David

Colin,

The threads appear to be ok, but something must just be a little bit off. I went to the hardware store last night and bought all of the nuts that I could find that looked to be about 1/2" (that included metric M12), but none of them fit onto the rod, I believe because the rod threads were more fine than the nut threads.

Any suggestions on how to figure out what kind of nuts I need to fit this rod?

Thanks,

David