Aches and pains

Bobby Slack

I was one of those guys, up at 5 and going to the gym every day. Competed a lot in tennis ... so here I am and since May I had some pains so I "listened to my body" and rested. Nothing happened.

From extreme workouts in the past I am now going back at the gym and just doing the elliptical machine for one hour, stretching, a little abs and come home to walk the dogs.

I feel so old!

Trying to stay in shape to have a long and productive woodworking life. Trying to stay healthy to continue backpacking in the Sierras and Colorado this summer.

And ... my wife asked me to play in a competitive mixed double league (tennis) this January. In tennis we call this "mixed troubles" playing with the wife can be testy. We guys call mixed doubles "singles with obstacles"

Happy Thanksgiving to all, stay healthy, enjoy life and the adventure of woodworking.

When I was young, an ache meant a sprain or a strain, so I'd rest it. A few years ago I had some aches that didn't go away, so I mentioned it to my doctor. He said, "arthritis", and the treatment is exercise. So, I pushed through the pain and exercised the joints, and the pain went away. Now, whenever I get a little twinge I make sure to exercise it before it really stiffens up.

As my father used to say, "Old age is not for the faint of heart.".

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I feel the aches and pains, but at my age, that go with being 70 years old. Here, I have to be going up or down stairs or steps or walk where ever I go. I am no longer too competetive except playing in a seniors Slowpitch Softball League. I am not complaining, as I have suffered, in my rather varied career, a broken neck, been wounded in sunny south east asia, been ejected from an aircraft when I didn't expect it, and been exposed to the whims and orders of Management and her sisters. But I can still get up and go. I am thankful for all of the things that make this possible, especially to Management. I thank my mother and father who made it possible and Management and my sons that made it necessary. :rolleyes:

Thank you guys for your voice of reason. One of the expressions I use a lot is "we are not as unique as we think", so reaching out to this community helps me a lot of times.

Getting old is not for sissies is my expression of choice.

Thank you again for everything, for your great posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report. After a week of using the elliptical machine for one hour per session, lots of stretching ... afterwords (I don't stretch when cold) a few situps and plenty of advil I feel a lot better.

I added vitamin D. A doctor friend of mine told me that this was good so vitamins will hurt my body less than drugs.

So there are certainly some lame yoga classes out there, but a good one will accomplish a lot, more than just "stretching". I'm not into the whole spiritual aspect of it; if there was a competition yoga class, I'd be there (i.e., if I lived in Montreal, I'd go to the classes given by Cirque du Soleil).

Give it a go; first couple classes will have you more looking around to figure out how to do a posture and you'll likely not stretch anywhere near your forthcoming abilities will let you. You'll definitely see positive changes after 5-6 classes if you give it a serious try.

Sometimes, there's even an eye-candy bonus.

Yoga ... I was thinking about it. I have the P90X and there they have one session. I feel like an idiot following some dude on TV.

The reason for the yoga is a time issue. I have to loose weight, I am at 200 Lbs and my tennis fighting weight is 180 (175 is ideal).

As I said, time ... I play quite a bit of tennis, on a league and for BLOOD! Never for fun. I stopped for a year and my wife just notified me we are playing on a mixed "troubles" league. (when the husband and wife play is called mixed troubles). So there you go, I need to get in shape for tennis (elliptical) 15 to 20 minutes of stretching did the job.

In January I will consider adding something else, may be yoga (following the tape at home).

I really need to get back to lifting because is really good for backpacking. My wife and I love going to the sierras in California and of course in Colorado where our cabin is at 9800 feet and this summer I have to work there ... boy I am a long talker.

So there are certainly some lame yoga classes out there, but a good one will accomplish a lot, more than just "stretching". I'm not into the whole spiritual aspect of it; if there was a competition yoga class, I'd be there (i.e., if I lived in Montreal, I'd go to the classes given by Cirque du Soleil).

Give it a go; first couple classes will have you more looking around to figure out how to do a posture and you'll likely not stretch anywhere near your forthcoming abilities will let you. You'll definitely see positive changes after 5-6 classes if you give it a serious try.

Paul-Marcel please don't take my earlier post as discounting the value of what you said.

Bobby, my wife teaches yoga (Vinyasa). It is not a good idea to learn yoga from a DVD. To learn the poses correctly, you must have hands on instruction, or you either won't get the benefit, or may hurt yourself. Three days a week of Vinyasa or Bikrams will rip you up...and no, I'd rather not. I do the absolute minimum needed to keep the fat off. A four pack is plenty for me.

Vic ... my tennis club has yoga classes, ok you and Paul-Marcel are tag teaming me. I will start next week, they have a couple of classes a week. :D

Bobby, my wife teaches yoga (Vinyasa). It is not a good idea to learn yoga from a DVD. To learn the poses correctly, you must have hands on instruction, or you either won't get the benefit, or may hurt yourself. Three days a week of Vinyasa or Bikrams will rip you up...and no, I'd rather not. I do the absolute minimum needed to keep the fat off. A four pack is plenty for me.