plywood grades

No Tuck. That was ignorance on their part. Ask to speak with someone knowledgeable about lumber/plywood. Home depot typically will carry, at least A/C ply, which has one good face without any patches and one side that does have patches. 5 with voids is "OK" for construction grade. If you're building any cabinets for the shop, get at least 7 ply, if you can find it. Otherwise, you'll have to go for the more expensive "cabinet grade" ply, which is probably called Birch plywood at your local HD. I don't think I've ever seen Baltic Birch at an HD. That is 11 ply, no void, two good faces. It typically comes in approx. 5'x 5' sheets. All my references have been to 3/4 inch ply, which, btw is typically 23/32" Good luck. I hope you can find someone who knows a little about the product on your next stop.

The grades of plywood at HD/LOWES are only close at best. The A/C I purchased at HD is relativly good. The rest of any of the B/C, C/D in any thickness needs to be looked at closely for warps. Some of it would make good propellors. I usually look for damaged Oak veneer or the Birch veneer, usually getting up to 75% off. I am not building cabinets, but the product is flatter than everything else and, for the most part, usable.

So what are you going to use the ply for or was this just a general question? Just curious. If you're making cabinets, I've been using veneer-faced waferboard. Very consistent, solid, easy to work. If it is weaker than ply, it isn't by much. Cost-wise, I get 3/4" Poplar for $42/sheet and Maple for $50/sheet (IIRC... definitely < $60). The Oak-faced potato chips at HD were in the mid $40s around here. I don't recall the Oak-faced waferboard price for direct comparison.