Anyone see the latest Woodwright's shop?

Lawrence Brown

Anyone see the latest (at least around here) episode of The Woodwright's Shop? It was called Saw Secrets. Christopher Schwarz was showing different ways of using handsaws. Besides being quite informative, it was also pretty funny. They were hamming it up pretty good. My favorite line was "Hold it like a baby bird. Don't crush it's skull". At one point they were showing "grain" using the end of a straw broom. When they got to demonstrating setting teeth for a cross cut using two knives, each holding one and going back and forth across the broom getting faster and faster, I thought someone was going to lose a finger.

And for the extra observant, you can catch Roy not once, but twice, referring to Chris as Christopher Schwartz. I'm guessing he's pretty used to it though.

And for the extra observant, you can catch Roy not once, but twice, referring to Chris as Christopher Schwartz. I'm guessing he's pretty used to it though.

That is how the name Schwarz is pronounced. German speakers always pronounce "z" as "tz." Of course they also pronounce w as v, so phonetically speaking in order to be precisely correct, he should pronounce it SCHVARTZ.

It was fun to learn from Roy that the entire season is released at once to your local PBS station and they are the ones that determine the order. Both of the Schwarz episodes have already aired here. I had the opportunity to preview them with Roy and Chris in August. I thought they turned out well, however, they did do some evil stuff to a broom.

Has anyone seen the one entitled "A Case for Books" where Roy makes a modular bookcase using sliding dovetails? I had it on the DVR, but it accidentally got deleted over the holiday with trying to record a number of football games. I was going to try and pull some details off of the episode, but now it is gone.

It was fun to learn from Roy that the entire season is released at once to your local PBS station and they are the ones that determine the order. Both of the Schwarz episodes have already aired here. I had the opportunity to preview them with Roy and Chris in August. I thought they turned out well, however, they did do some evil stuff to a broom.

Has anyone seen the one entitled "A Case for Books" where Roy makes a modular bookcase using sliding dovetails? I had it on the DVR, but it accidentally got deleted over the holiday with trying to record a number of football games. I was going to try and pull some details off of the episode, but now it is gone.

My DVR copy of the bookcase episode was deleted as well. Maybe this is some sort of conspiracy. :o

That is how the name Schwarz is pronounced. German speakers always pronounce "z" as "tz." Of course they also pronounce w as v, so phonetically speaking in order to be precisely correct, he should pronounce it SCHVARTZ.

Aha! I can definitely see the German argument. I just thought I'd remembered Mr Whisperer making a big deal about the "zzzzzzzz" pronunciation in one of his episodes, but then again, I may have wood splinters between my ears ;)

Are you kidding, of course I have. The bookcase episode was very well done with a lot of technique using a simple set of basic tools which is great for those of us without some of the more specialty ones. I loved Chris' comment to Roy about using the saw plate's reflection to square up the saw. Is it Patina or rust?

• Like 1