Jigs for Sliding Miter Tables

klousiajp@gmail.com

I'm pretty new to this hobby and (maybe naively) I purchased a Ryboi contractor saw right out of the gate. I actually like it fairly well. The saw seems to do it's job, the size and price were right, and most importantly I still have all my fingers. There are a bunch of problems that I've encountered as I've used it and have seen what other saws can do.

The fence isn't great, the fact I can't put in a zero-clearance plate is annoying, the splitter is awful but the biggest problem is the sliding miter table. There are so many helpful, worthwhile jigs that I can't use because I don't have a miter slot.

Has anyone else run into this same problem? Do you have any great ideas for jigs on a miter table rather than a miter slot?

I'm pretty new to this hobby and (maybe naively) I purchased a Ryboi contractor saw right out of the gate. I actually like it fairly well. The saw seems to do it's job, the size and price were right, and most importantly I still have all my fingers. There are a bunch of problems that I've encountered as I've used it and have seen what other saws can do.

The fence isn't great, the fact I can't put in a zero-clearance plate is annoying, the splitter is awful but the biggest problem is the sliding miter table. There are so many helpful, worthwhile jigs that I can't use because I don't have a miter slot.

Has anyone else run into this same problem? Do you have any great ideas for jigs on a miter table rather than a miter slot?

JP, what model of saw do you have? Why is it that you cant put a zero clearance insert in it? what kind of jigs can you not use? One thing to remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat..

JP, what model of saw do you have? Why is it that you cant put a zero clearance insert in it? what kind of jigs can you not use? One thing to remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat..

The BTS21. It is a beauty:

72be3383-b0ca-48e6-9983-b645942c7762_300.jpg

The stock insert is actually a thin piece of metal that is supported by two screws on the lefthand side and there isn't anything on the right side to support an insert. If I did a zero clearance of my own, it would have to be very thin, and very sturdy. The biggest problems I have is that any jig that uses a miter slot I have to rig to work on the sliding table.

Things like this featherboard combo.

38487-01-500.jpg

Yeah, I see how using jigs could be a bit of a problem.. you dont have a miter slot or a metal top.. hmmm.. I am not sure what to do there. I have not used a saw like this before.. there has to be someone here that can help..

The BTS21. It is a beauty:

72be3383-b0ca-48e6-9983-b645942c7762_300.jpg

The stock insert is actually a thin piece of metal that is supported by two screws on the lefthand side and there isn't anything on the right side to support an insert. If I did a zero clearance of my own, it would have to be very thin, and very sturdy. The biggest problems I have is that any jig that uses a miter slot I have to rig to work on the sliding table.

Things like this featherboard combo.

38487-01-500.jpg

JP. That or it's predecessor was the first TS I bought. Thank god, I'd purchased it at Costco. I hated it. Took it back, bought a DeWalt contractor saw and used that for a year plus, before I got fed up with that. Now I have a X5 Unisaw and am FINALLY happy. What got me to finally get a cabinet saw was the need for a stable surface when feeding stock.

JP. That or it's predecessor was the first TS I bought. Thank god, I'd purchased it at Costco. I hated it. Took it back, bought a DeWalt contractor saw and used that for a year plus, before I got fed up with that. Now I have a X5 Unisaw and am FINALLY happy. What got me to finally get a cabinet saw was the need for a stable surface when feeding stock.

After a comment like that, I hope you didn't use it yet.. or at least still have the box.

After a comment like that, I hope you didn't use it yet.. or at least still have the box.

It's actually not that awful. It has some quirks for sure, but once you learn them, it cuts reasonably well. I have about 1/3 of my basement that I share with storage and laundry and a beer fridge so there really isn't any space for a cabinet saw. Basically, at this point I'm stuck with it so I was hoping that there would be someone else out there in a similar situation that might have some suggestions for how to improve on it, and work around some of its shortcomings.

If you need a small portable table saw, I recommend the Bosch 4100. I got mine refurbished for $360. Standard miter slots that will take any standard accessories, and it did everything I asked of it. Good safety features, and all the accessories, blades, etc have "homes" on the case so you can store it and transport it easily.