Festool Track saw review, AvE

xxdabroxx

Looks like he had fun getting it back together again. Haha. Pretty interesting electronics in there controlling the motor speed and the soft start definitely drops the amps on startup. I've never thought about the lower amp draw at startup with a soft start. I've only thought about felt torque. 

AVE may be harsh on his reviews, but the FOG isn't exactly unbiased either.  Many users there act like the tools are gold plated.

Beware of the Festool Taliban. AvE could well become the tool worlds Salman Rushdie if he keeps this up.:) 

Some people buy tools to do woodworking, and some people do woodworking so they can buy tools. I think this is where a lot of the hate towards Festool comes from. More than any other brand of power tool, they're admired or collected, rather than used.  And for whatever reason this seems to upset some people.

When was the last time you seen a woodworking video on YouTube with someone miraculously always standing in front of a wall of perfectly framed Ryobi tools? What about a wall full of Systainers in order from largest to smallest, all as shinny as the day they were new? Like it or not, Festool is the power tool of choice for people that have a tool fetish. I think that's always going to create some hate among power tool users, especially those that would like to own them, but can't justify spending that much money on a tool. 

Personally, I like and use their products, but I'm not radical enough for the FOG just yet.:)

Beware of the Festool Taliban. AvE could well become the tool worlds Salman Rushdie if he keeps this up.:) 

Some people buy tools to do woodworking, and some people do woodworking so they can buy tools. I think this is where a lot of the hate towards Festool comes from. More than any other brand of power tool, they're admired or collected, rather than used.  And for whatever reason this seems to upset some people.

When was the last time you seen a woodworking video on YouTube with someone miraculously always standing in front of a wall of perfectly framed Ryobi tools? What about a wall full of Systainers in order from largest to smallest, all as shinny as the day they were new? Like it or not, Festool is the power tool of choice for people that have a tool fetish. I think that's always going to create some hate among power tool users, especially those that would like to own them, but can't justify spending that much money on a tool. 

Personally, I like and use their products, but I'm not radical enough for the FOG just yet.:)

I purposely keep my systainers dusty and scattered about my shop for that reason.  Also I refuse to keep m clamps perfectly arranged from from smallest to largest.... I like to keep it real, yo.    

Edited by Guest

You know, that's pretty accurate from my time on FOG. There's one guy who bought every single tool (or nearly) and didn't use them for the longest time. I can think of better ways to spend six figures, but that's not my money I suppose. For some, systainers are a status symbol.

• Like 1

I purposely keep my systainers dusty and scattered about my shop for that reason.  Also I refuse to keep m clamps perfectly arranged from from smallest to largest.... I like to keep it real, yo.    

Really? Thats no way to treat a systainer! lol. I keep all my systainers under custom plastic like the italians do with their furniture.

• Like 1

Really? Thats no way to treat a systainer! lol. I keep all my systainers under custom plastic like the italians do with their furniture.

Off-topic but growing up one of my close friends was italian and yes they did have plastic covers on their furniture.  One day I rode my bike across his front lawn and his dad came out and said "you a ride da bike on my grass again and I a break all your fingers"  

Off-topic but growing up one of my close friends was italian and yes they did have plastic covers on their furniture.  One day I rode my bike across his front lawn and his dad came out and said "you a ride da bike on my grass again and I a break all your fingers"  

Hahahahha!!! Freakin classic man. My sis is married to a hardcore italian and i could see her father in law saying that. Hilarious!

I am really curious to see the comparisons to other track saws.

I actually wish we could have the Bosch saw and tracks in North America.  They appear to use the same tracks as the Mafell saws.  Those tracks look a lot better designed, connect together in much easier way.  I'd get the Mafell, but damn, it makes Festool look inexpensive!

I am really curious to see the comparisons to other track saws.

I actually wish we could have the Bosch saw and tracks in North America.  They appear to use the same tracks as the Mafell saws.  Those tracks look a lot better designed, connect together in much easier way.  I'd get the Mafell, but damn, it makes Festool look inexpensive!

Marc has a video on Dewalt's:

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/dewalt-tracksaw-review/

AvE has definitely become one of my favorite YouTube channels. I've torn through his content, and he is pretty consistent with his tool reviews. He also specifically does two parters so he can correct incorrect assumptions. It's kind of like a kid from Sunnyvale Trailer Park went out and got a masters in engineering and decided to start a YouTube channel. His non tool review videos are pretty interesting as well.

The second TS 55 video shows more positive aspects of tool, specifically illustrating how the electronic controls maintain blade speed during heavy cuts. I will see the chincey brass bushing instead of a real bearing is the only thing that surprised me in terms of the build quality, well that and the spindle lock engaging on the plastic fins of the motor fan.

I only own one Festool product (the domino) and while I think it's an awesome tool, I've never pulled the trigger on any of their other products. I'm not saying I won't, but the difference to me as a hobby woodworker hasn't been substantial enough to sway the decision.