Router Table Size?

mzingali

Hey Guys, Going on everyone's recommendations on a stand alone router table, what size should the table be? I see alot of store bought table tops are 24"x 32". After using the router tables, is there any of those dimensions you'd like bigger? Say for longer pieces? Just wondering.

TIA,

Mike

Mike,

When I built my table, I was fortunate enough to have a lot of room available. Mine is actually 48" wide, and I have never been sorry for making it so big and often been extremely happy I have that extra space. The other thing I added 8" forward of the router. My table is extra deep. (Most are 24" or 22" deep, mine is 32") Which is fine for me being 6'2" tall I have no reach issues and it gives me a lot more support for cabinet doors or other frames and such. I use my table a ton (second only to my table saw). I don't do a lot of hand held routing by comparison so maybe mine is oversized, but it is my opinion that if you have the space and the physical reach, bigger is better. The only time the big table hurts you is when you are working a small piece and using the router pin, it can be kind of difficult to really get "on top of" your work. But again, I'm fairly tall so big works well for me.

I hope this helps.

Let us know what you decide.

Take care