Recycled Jarrah - filling holes

Fatsav

Hi Guys, just joined group. Staring to get into woodworking. First project new wooden side gate, using recycled Jarrah from a mates roof. There are some large holes where I have cleaned out some rot. I want to know the best product to use to fill in holes. Finished product will be oiled to show off the natural colour of the timber. Most putty's Ive seen are not 'natural looking'. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of resin product. Ive been told that it needs to be UV stable as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Epoxy is most definitely NOT uv proof. I use it for building my boat and its covered over with timber or paint.. I would either live with the holes or fit what is known as a "Dutchman" which is a piece of wood shaped to fit a special cut hole in timber. Either that or cut around holes if you have enough timber. Another thought would be to scarf some timber together with weatherproof glue. You're going to be refinishing that gate a lot by putting a clear finish on it, in our climate. A scarf join is two pieces of wood joined end to end with, usually, opposing slopes of anywhere from 8:1 up to 12:1 or more depending on strength required.

Oh damn , i just noticed how old this thread is, dontcha hate that