LN Skew Block Plane

Immortan D

Daniel, what do you want the plane to do?

If you are looking for a plane for rebates, then the LV Skew Rabbet Plane is the one to go for. You do not need both hands, just one. This is a plane for coarse work. It cuts deeply and works fast, and can go across and with the grain.

If you want a plane for fine cuts in detail work, for across the grain, then you have a choice of two: a skew block plane, or a shoulder plane. Frankly, my choice for tuning rebates, shoulders and tenon cheeks would be a large or medium shoulder plane. I have both these in LV, and find that I use the (3/4" wide) Medium more.

Skew block planes look interesting, but their usefulness is less than those planes above. I have the LN, which I restored with the aid of Thomas Lie-Nielsen. It is one of the original planes, and is stunning looking. I have the LV versions as well, having completed pre-production testing with them, and they are more pedestrian looking, but a much better design and more functional. Personally, I think that you should ignore this plane type unless you are set up with the others.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

Daniel, what do you want the plane to do?

If you are looking for a plane for rebates, then the LV Skew Rabbet Plane is the one to go for. You do not need both hands, just one. This is a plane for coarse work. It cuts deeply and works fast, and can go across and with the grain.

If you want a plane for fine cuts in detail work, for across the grain, then you have a choice of two: a skew block plane, or a shoulder plane. Frankly, my choice for tuning rebates, shoulders and tenon cheeks would be a large or medium shoulder plane. I have both these in LV, and find that I use the (3/4" wide) Medium more.

Skew block planes look interesting, but their usefulness is less than those planes above. I have the LN, which I restored with the aid of Thomas Lie-Nielsen. It is one of the original planes, and is stunning looking. I have the LV versions as well, having completed pre-production testing with them, and they are more pedestrian looking, but a much better design and more functional. Personally, I think that you should ignore this plane type unless you are set up with the others.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It's for cutting rabbets on bubinga, from scratch. The LV Skew Rabbet Plane is most likely the one I'm going to buy.