How strong are biscuits?

A_Vitale

So I am currently working on a side board and am debating on how I want to join the legs to the base of the case? The plan I am modeling from (slightly) calls for biscuits but really have never used them in an application like this. How strong are they?? I will post pics soon!

I don't think that biscuits add very much strength, if any, to the joint. I think their only use is to help align pieces so that their faces are flush. The glue provides the strength.

Yes that is my concern, I have always used a biscuit as a tool to help me keep something in place or align something. Check this plan out guys as it is what I am roughly modeling mine after.

My link

Notice the way they call for them between the legs and the center case portion....

There is no way I would use biscuits and glue alone for the bottom shelf/leg assembly. Good catch - we gotta be vigilant!

Yes that is my concern, I have always used a biscuit as a tool to help me keep something in place or align something. Check this plan out guys as it is what I am roughly modeling mine after.

My link

Notice the way they call for them between the legs and the center case portion....

I noticed they are specifying biscuits for the bottom cabinet board as well as the lower shelf. I think they are using biscuits as a way to join end grain of those boards to the face grain of the rails. You could probably get by with pocket screws since no one would see them.

pocket screws were my next option, but I guess I was just being ''stuck up'" by not wanting to use any mechanical fasteners. But really I do not see another option...hmm maybe this would be a good excuse to pick up the Domino! lol

I just got a Domino for myself. If you aren't ready to take the plunge, you might consider router-cut mortises or dowels.

Are you using solid wood for the bottom of the case, or plywood? If solid wood, you need to attach the bottom in a way that will allow it to expand and contract relative to the side rails or it will self-destruct over time. At a glance, it doesn't look like the plan accounts for this.

Looking at the plan, I see that the bottom of the case is butted up against the rear rail and rests on top of the front rail. If I were building it, I would glue and screw a cleat to the rear rail and bottom to support it in the back. I would then glue and screw a cleat to the front rail and screw it to the bottom (no glue) using elongated screw holes. This will fix the bottom in the back and allow it to expand and contract freely in the front. You can add some cleats and elongated screw holes to the side rails for additional support and to keep it flat, but the attachment to the front and back rails is going to provide most of your strength.

That lower stretcher also presents a problem. At eight inches, you need to be prepared for a little bit of expansion and contraction relative to the side rails it is attached to. Stopped dados are the cleanest method that come to mind, but you'll need to leave some room for expansion and attaching the stretcher in a way that is both secure and lets it expand and contract is a challenge. Cleats and elongated screw holes could be an option, but they may be visible in this design and wouldn't look the best.

Rory

pocket screws were my next option, but I guess I was just being ''stuck up'" by not wanting to use any mechanical fasteners. But really I do not see another option...hmm maybe this would be a good excuse to pick up the Domino! lol

Domino is good, but high dollar. Beadlock jig is structurally about the same for beaucoup cheaper.