My New Toy

reforzar

Ever want a bigger jointer? Me too... So I got one. Friday I purchased a 16" American Jointer in prime condition. It's the best big boy I have seen. Most of the time they are rust buckets or missing too many parts. Not this one. It's missing a bolt or two but nothing I can't grab at my big box store and nothing crucial to it's running properly. Here's the video the previous owner took. Thanks for looking :)

post-648-0-92885900-1291568788_thumb.jpg

Ever want a bigger jointer? Me too... So I got one. Friday I purchased a 16" American Jointer in prime condition. It's the best big boy I have seen. Most of the time they are rust buckets or missing too many parts. Not this one. It's missing a bolt or two but nothing I can't grab at my big box store and nothing crucial to it's running properly. Here's the video the previous owner took. Thanks for looking :)

post-648-0-92885900-1291568788_thumb.jpg

Beauty! Is that a cribbage board on the pork chop blade guard?

I'm assuming that's a 3 phase machine, because of it's age and motor size. Do you have 3 phase or plan to use a phase conversion?

From the previous owner I purchased a rotary phase converter (10hp) that he used to run his whole shop on (tablesaw, drill press, jointer, planer). I've never done 3 phase before but I'm pretty excited. Not set up for d.c. yet but will make a box that fits under the cutterhead with a 4" dust port.

From the previous owner I purchased a rotary phase converter (10hp) that he used to run his whole shop on (tablesaw, drill press, jointer, planer). I've never done 3 phase before but I'm pretty excited. Not set up for d.c. yet but will make a box that fits under the cutterhead with a 4" dust port.

How's the efficency of those converters? I know the motors can be more efficient than the 1Ph, but then 3Ph is always commercial where higher efficiency is demanded. Not that I want a converter; I have a hard enough time keeping up with one phase. Sounds like you got a smokin' deal; very nice.

How's the efficency of those converters? I know the motors can be more efficient than the 1Ph, but then 3Ph is always commercial where higher efficiency is demanded. Not that I want a converter; I have a hard enough time keeping up with one phase. Sounds like you got a smokin' deal; very nice.

Paul, they aren't very efficient. But, they are the only way and not a horrible way of getting 3 phase. I'm betting there are engineers in the group that can do a much better job of explaining the process than I. You know how easily confused I am. B)

I'm not sure how the efficiency is but I hear that 3Phase is great. I did lots of research and most guys that switch seem happy with it. Also the RPC has a switch on it so I can easily turn it off whenever not in use.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did this huge machine set you back? I rarely see jointers this big on Craigslist here in Socal. Guys who have them usually keep them forever.

Marty,

First off I don't mind. I think it was a great deal. I paid (drumroll) $1000 for the jointer. I bought the RPC from the same guy and that set me back $400. All in all not too bad. I checked out RPC's (it's a 10HP) and around that size they can be $700 easily. Secondly I suggest you join OWWM.com (Old Wood Working Machines) if you are interested in getting nice big old stuff. I did travel the furthest that I've ever traveled for a tool (190 miles one way) but I took that into consideration in my budget. Check this link out. Anyway, if you do go to OWWM, once you're in the For Sale area (Bring Out Your Dead) you can search within that forum. Great site with some cool guys on it. Good Luck!

Marty,

First off I don't mind. I think it was a great deal. I paid (drumroll) $1000 for the jointer. I bought the RPC from the same guy and that set me back $400. All in all not too bad. I checked out RPC's (it's a 10HP) and around that size they can be $700 easily. Secondly I suggest you join OWWM.com (Old Wood Working Machines) if you are interested in getting nice big old stuff. I did travel the furthest that I've ever traveled for a tool (190 miles one way) but I took that into consideration in my budget. Check this link out. Anyway, if you do go to OWWM, once you're in the For Sale area (Bring Out Your Dead) you can search within that forum. Great site with some cool guys on it. Good Luck!

Wow, that's a great price. The 190 miles might have been a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the OWWM link. I've never heard of them.

How's the efficency of those converters?

Not great. They're basically a hack to run a 3Φ motor when your only option is a 1Φ supply. You also lose some of the advantages of a 3Φ motor on a true 3Φ supply.

I know the motors can be more efficient than the 1Ph, but then 3Ph is always commercial where higher efficiency is demanded.

Energy-efficiency isn't a huge difference between 1Φ and 3Φ motors, but there are other big advantages of 3Φ. Three-phase motors pack more HP in a smaller form factor and you can use substantially thinner copper wire to get the same HP at the end of a circuit leading to a cheaper, lighter installation (especially in a commercial building where you would need hundreds of feet of wire). This effect is also multiplied as most 3Φ systems also operate at higher voltage. Three-phase motors are smoother as they have nearly continuous torque around the full rotation of the shaft whereas single phase motors have a "surge and coast" operation leading to rougher operation. Finally 3Φ motors are very easy to reverse and start compared to 1Φ motors which require special windings, controllers and switches. Bottom line is that three-phase is great if you have large machines and your shop is in an area where you can get it without spending a fortune.