Cold weather finishing

MartinN

I only spray water bourne - almost always general finishes high performance poly.  I have only done the "spray and dash" method with smaller projects, never a really large one that would be difficult to move.  I sprayed a few drawers last week, and had no problems.

I set everything up, then filled my cup.  Sprayed the pieces, and brought them into the heated shop to dry.

I would love to spray indoors, and have been thinking about how to accomplish this for a while.  I cannot come up with a solution I like - how do you do it?

I have sprayed big pieces in my shop indoors including the chest of drawers i just finished. I hate it. I have to move my workbench out of the way to make room to spray the large piece. I cover every tool in plastic and put the hvlp machine outside. If you are just spraying something small you wouldn't need to cover every machine just the closest ones. I re sprayed the top to the chest of drawers today and there was barely any overspray on stuff cause it was literally 15 seconds of spraying per coat. Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Wow you spray in 6 degrees C? What are you spraying at that temperature? Lacquer? Why dont you shoot indoors?

I ask because i sprayed indoors today because it was around 6 degrees C outside and I never would have thought to spray outdoors. Maybe I will try it next time if you have had good experience. 

Was thinking about you today Shane, I sprayed 3 items at 5 pm today.  Weather was about 7 degrees C, and the total exposure time for the projects outside was 4 min.

They are warmly drying in my kitchen!  haha

Second coat tomorrow!

• Like 1

I have pieces of 1/4" MDF cut to cover all my cast iron and my outfeed/assembly table. I set up on top of the table with pyramids and spray in the shop. I only spray water bournes. Usually spray towards the end of the day then sand and recoat the next day. Finish is dry enough in an hour that any dust is minimal.

Was thinking about you today Shane, I sprayed 3 items at 5 pm today.  Weather was about 7 degrees C, and the total exposure time for the projects outside was 4 min.

They are warmly drying in my kitchen!  haha

Second coat tomorrow!

Thats awesome!! What did you spray? Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I have pieces of 1/4" MDF cut to cover all my cast iron and my outfeed/assembly table. I set up on top of the table with pyramids and spray in the shop. I only spray water bournes. Usually spray towards the end of the day then sand and recoat the next day. Finish is dry enough in an hour that any dust is minimal.

I like this idea, and would do something similar, but i am afraid I will get finish in my neighbor's car.  His parking spot is only 4 feet from my overhead door.

Thats awesome!! What did you spray? Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

GF HP poly (Water based).

Projects were some shop furniture (new "samurai sword" style saw till, screw driver holder, and a 42" board for mounting tools.

Good-Bye pegboard!

Edited by Pug
  • Like 1

My first thought is to ask about the insulation in your garage.  some time and investment there (insulate ceiling, walls, and even the garage doors) might go a long way to helping with the temperature and heating.

As for what I do - I have a basement shop, and I used to have some stink from finishing with poly getting into the house.  It usually dissipated within a day but was still a nuisance.  What I did to help is put a small fan in one of the small basement windows to blow 'out' and induce a little negative pressure in my workshop.  it still stinks in the shop but really helps keep it from getting to the rest of the house.  I installed the fan in a 'box' I made so that I can still slide the window open when using the fan but shut it when not.  

My first thought is to ask about the insulation in your garage.  some time and investment there (insulate ceiling, walls, and even the garage doors) might go a long way to helping with the temperature and heating.

As for what I do - I have a basement shop, and I used to have some stink from finishing with poly getting into the house.  It usually dissipated within a day but was still a nuisance.  What I did to help is put a small fan in one of the small basement windows to blow 'out' and induce a little negative pressure in my workshop.  it still stinks in the shop but really helps keep it from getting to the rest of the house.  I installed the fan in a 'box' I made so that I can still slide the window open when using the fan but shut it when not.  

I have often thought about spraying in my basement, but I just can't come up with a way to do it that I feel is suitable.  The "smell" of polyurethane in the house is more than a nuisance, and is hard to avoid when atomizing finish.

I have often thought about spraying in my basement, but I just can't come up with a way to do it that I feel is suitable.  The "smell" of polyurethane in the house is more than a nuisance, and is hard to avoid when atomizing finish.

I don't spray at all. mostly wipe-on poly.  My window fan blowing out seems to keep it under control  I'd spray WB in a basement with my fan setup, but definitely not lacquer.

I don't spray at all. mostly wipe-on poly.  My window fan blowing out seems to keep it under control  I'd spray WB in a basement with my fan setup, but definitely not lacquer.

Oh, I see.  I thought you were spraying solvent finish in your basement.

I use wipe on poly in the basement all the time - I don't find that there is odour at all when using Minwax Wipe On, but I find GF ARS is really strong.

Oh - sorry about that. Yes, I don't spray. And probably would never spray solvent in the basement.  Been thinking about how I'd set up a knock-town spray booth out in the back yard for that (but need to get a spray system first!).

I use both Minwax and GF. and I find they both have a stink, especially if I thin them with mineral spirits or naptha for wiping.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same problem, garage that basically isn't insulated, if it gets cold enough and stays that way, stuff starts to freeze.  Since I've only done small projects, usually finish in our guest bathroom we don't use and run the fan.  Of course I have plans on making a coffee table that wouldn't really fit in the bathroom so not sure what I'm going to do.  We have been lucky so far this year, has been unseasonably warm which has been nice.