Narex 8105 (Classic Bevel) vs 8116 (Premium)

N00b-in-training

Ready to buy some real chisels. Looks like Amazon has the Narex 8105 Classic Bevel (http://www.amazon.com/Narex-Woodworking-Chisels-Wooden-Presentation/dp/B0165WKKY2/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1448643229&sr=8-14&keywords=narex+chisels) set of 6 for $80 or Highland has a black friday sale for the Narex 8116 Premium set of 6 for $80 (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/narex-premium-bench-chisel-set-wooden-box.aspx). 

Question: has anyone used both chisels or have a recommendation on which one to go with? 

Premiums taper to a thinner edge or steeper angle I don't remember which. Hit YouTube with your question for a visual. The premium are easier to sneak into dovetail cleanup. Personally I own classics that are hooped and intend to buy a quality fishtail for that purpose.

Edited by C Shaffer

I'm looking to pick up some narex chisels as well. But I'm only going to go for a 1/4 - 1/2 - 1" group of chisels. Everything I have read that most people don't need much more than that.

If you're getting those, you might as well get the set of 4 including the 3/4 chisel since it's effectively the same price. That's the size I find I use most often, so I wouldn't want to be without it.

Can't speak to those particular chisels, but I picked up a set of the Narex mortise chisels a while back and I like them.  They don't hold an edge nearly as long as the older  PEXTO and Swan pairing chisels I have, but, for the price, they are definitely worth it.  If it were me, I would probably go for the premiums, as they will be more useful for dovetailing, but it depends on what you want them for.