Router Purchase

WizardJ

If it's going to be hand-held, you may want to sacrifice power for lower weight. Lots of folks have bought an additional small, low power router just because it's easy to manage hand-held. If it's going in table, then big and beefy is OK, but you really want to think about above the table height adjustment and bit changes. In my experience power is only an issue if you are using larger bits or working with very hard woods.

So, like Paul said, "it depends".

WizardJ,

1-1/2 will get you started. It's all I had for a few years. As long as you get a quality machine (in the 1-1/2 HP range I'm thinking Porter-Cable or DeWalt) and have an understanding that you will outgrow it you'll be fine. If you can manage a combo that has a plunge & fixed base, all the better.

I am a sucker for Festool. Rather than power think of ease of adjustment and how easy is to change bits. Since this will be your only router, you will be changing bits quite a bit. My first router was a Festool OF 1400. If you can afford it, go ahead ... if not, probably there are other options. I never even looked them up.

Also FWW and PW probably have articles about this in their websites and you can buy the article.

Bobby Slack is right. Fine Woodworking's current issue (the Tools & Shops Issue) has an article that i think will help you out a lot. it is called "How Many Routers Does Your Shop Need?"

That's a silly article - Three routers??? Hmmm... Crazy talk!!!

Ok, all kidding aside, I would have no reservations about recomending a Porter Cable 890 combo kit to anyone. The motor swaps easy from fixed base to plunge base, it had good power, variable speed, and even dust collection (which isn't half bad on that unit)

Sure, the day will come when you want to spin a 3 1/2" diameter panel raiser, but I'd never recomend that to a beginner.

Hope this helps

Assuming you'll using it for hand routing, and not in a router table, I'd go with whichever one felt best in your hands. I'd definitely get one that has a 1/2" collet. You might find that a multiple base kit with a plunge and a fixed base offers some versatility. If you do want to use it in a router table, I'd opt for one with variable speed, at least 11 amps, and lots of above table features. There are several excellent choices from Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Hitachi, Ridgid, PC, Craftsman, Triton, Freud, and DeWalt. For hand use I really like the Milwaukee 5615 & 5616, and the Hitachi M12VC. For table use I like the above table features of the Freud FT1700 & FT3000, and the Triton routers.

First off having a router table and a handheld router in my opinion is one of the best things you can do, versitile and if you build it yourself-cheap. That being said a combo unit is perfect because you can put the standard base in the table and use the plunge for handheld work and switch the motor back and forth. This will get you up and going until the time comes and you want to add a second router to your shop, and that time will come. My suggestion is go with a 1 1/2 to 2 1/4hp combo kit and when you add a second router go with a big dawg to stay in the table allowing the combo kit for handheld. As for the brands, my first router was the PC 690 combo and I love it, I have since stepped up to the Festool OF1400 which is heaven sent but my PC is still going strong about 13yrs later. A few things to look for are a kit that can use both 1/4 and 1/2 shank collets, above the table bit change, variable speed and a soft start is pretty handy too. I would say that the few that really catch my eye are the PC 890, the Milwaukee 5616-24, and my favorite the new Bosch MRC23EVSK. Good luck.

Nate

Just picked up a DeWalt 611 kit. The new compact router with plunge and fixed base and I love it so far. Always wanted compact laminate trimmer size with plunge base. The Light helps lot and is a handy little unit. limited on bit size of course but so far, it is the heat for inlay and stringing. Will be using it on my build of the line and berry chest on latest Popwood magazine. BTW I have the full size DeWalt router, a Bosch colt, ridgid trim router and the Festool OF1400 and a PC 690 in the table.

The new one is my favorite for small detail work. Stable, has the feel of a larger router, soft start, variable speed. Dust collection is the only downside so far, although there is an adaptor/collar for dust collection available.

Definitely not for a router table, but for hand held with almost any 1/4 shank bit, I like it. Not too spendy either.

As for the brands, my first router was the PC 690 combo and I love it

So was mine and I have to admit if I had it to do over again I probably would have gone for the Bosch in the same price range. It may just be me, but I really hate the plunge base on the 690, or at least the one that was around when I bought mine a few years ago. It's finicky, sticky and doesn't plunge smoothly. I also tore the cheap screws on the motor's adjuster plate (probably not the proper term, but the strip of toothed steel that engage in the bases) which I wasn't too happy with though it was a fairly easy fix. I chose the 690 because it seems to be the universal model in that accessories are available anywhere, but I wasn't and am still not that happy with the plunge base for it. The fixed base and motor work great though, and I liked PC enough to go with the Speedmatic for my router table.