What size blade for bandsaw box?

Nick2cd

I just bought a new Ridgid 14" band saw. It came stock with a 1/4" blade. im not sure if the blade cuts poorly or if i just suck. i am attempting a bandsaw box, but i can't seem to cut anything near a tight enough radius, especially on inside curves of the drawer. do i need to go down to a 1/8" blade? not feeling real good about my new bandsaw at the moment :(

I just bought a new Ridgid 14" band saw. It came stock with a 1/4" blade. im not sure if the blade cuts poorly or if i just suck. i am attempting a bandsaw box, but i can't seem to cut anything near a tight enough radius, especially on inside curves of the drawer. do i need to go down to a 1/8" blade? not feeling real good about my new bandsaw at the moment :(

Nick, what size of radius are you trying to cut? Here's a chart for minimum radius sizes versus band saw blade widths.

Below is a basic blade width/ radius chart. My bandsaw is an old Rockwell but I had bought a Ridgid blade a few yrs ago and was not impressed at all, I don't know if I got a bad blade or if that is the norm. If I were you I would first make sure you have the appropriate blade for the curves your doing, make sure your saw is tuned up and running perfect (Marc has Episode 13 devoted to this) and if you are still having problems buy a new quality blade. There are a number of people on this forum that have mentioned having the Ridgid bandsaw, not sure if it's the same model, and I don't recall hearing anything bad about it. I am sure you wil be loving your new saw soon. Good luck.

Nate

One last thing, especially when doing tight curves it is always good to use a file and round the back side of your bandsaw blade. Just start your saw and slowly shape it, this will not only remove the sharp edge on the back of your blade but it will allow a tad bit more room for the sawblade while making the radius cuts. Marc might mention this in the video, it;s been a long time since I've watched it.

Blade Width 1/8" 3/16" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" 3/4" 1"

Min. Radius 3/16" 5/16" 5/8" 1 1/2" 2 1/2" 5 1/2" 7"

well, i chucked the factory ridgid blade and ordered a new timberwolf blade. it's gonna take about a week to get here, so in the meantime i went to lowes and picked up a bosch 1/8" blade. what a difference! i have been quite pleased with all of ridgid's products, but that came to a screeching halt with their band saw blades. i guess that can't do everything perfectly. anyways, the bosch cuts much better and also gives me a nice tight radius cut. i should be able to attempt a band box now.

Nick, I thought you were joking when you said you were going to have to buy a bandsaw after seeing the box I made. ;)

You are right, the stock blades you get are almost useless. The bandsaw I have is a Harbor Freight one. Works fine after replacing the blade.

Can't wait to see what you make. Be sure to post pics.

Don

Nick, I thought you were joking when you said you were going to have to buy a bandsaw after seeing the box I made. ;)

You are right, the stock blades you get are almost useless. The bandsaw I have is a Harbor Freight one. Works fine after replacing the blade.

Can't wait to see what you make. Be sure to post pics.

Don

i wish i was joking :rolleyes: i've got a serious addiction :D

well, i chucked the factory ridgid blade and ordered a new timberwolf blade. it's gonna take about a week to get here, so in the meantime i went to lowes and picked up a bosch 1/8" blade. what a difference! i have been quite pleased with all of ridgid's products, but that came to a screeching halt with their band saw blades. i guess that can't do everything perfectly. anyways, the bosch cuts much better and also gives me a nice tight radius cut. i should be able to attempt a band box now.

Don't trash the old blade. Hold onto it for cutting junk you don't want to mess up any of your good blades on. Dog bones and stuff like that...