use of a "preacher" how to

Tom King

Glad someone can get some use out of it.  I've had two different architects tell me that I'm the best finish carpenter they've ever seen.  One asked me, looking at an interior natural wood room I did, how I measured something that precisely.  I said, I didn't do much measuring.  He was confused, but let it go.   I'm not only a finish carpenter.

This is an old carpenter's method that I learned from some old carpenters who worked for me 35 years ago.  They're all gone now, but I wish they could see some of the things I've done since they left us.  They all left before there was such a thing as a good quality power miter saw.

14 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I am afraid that in 20 years no one will be able to do stain grade trim work.  Everything is painted now and your average finish carpenter spends more time caulking (or letting the painter caulk) than he does marking and cutting. 

My great Uncle was a finish carpentar.  I remember he installed an octogan window at my parents house when I was about 12, he was retired and maybe 75 at the time.  I think his toolkit consisted of a backsaw, pencil and hammer and those octogan miters were perfect.  

I owned an 1860 that was all painted. I worked for ten years on homes that one in ten was painted. Fads come and go, money buys what money wants. As long as someone will pay to have it done, guys will do it. It is not hard.  It is simply not always fast. 

Tom, I am enjoying what you offer. Thanks. 

• Like 1