Router Bit/Collet Extension

JeffWaggoner

Has anyone ever used this or know of someone that has? I like that you can change the bit with just a hex wrench but I am concerned about vibration.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EXQ2FA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1TT63V444WBPR0HR8S1Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I have never used this collet extension, but I do use the CMT collet extension on my Fein 1800RT in my table. I have never had any vibration issues. The only issues I have are that when some bits are being used they can never be lowered completely below the table. So I end up having to take the extension off for some bits. The CMT also doesn't allow for a true over the table bit exchange. Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the CMT as well and it works great although bit changing is a challenge. I have one of those Freud 3hp plunge routers mounted on an insert at the end of my table saw fence and ended up buying the CMT collet extension so I could use a big patterning bit. It came in handy while making several of the G&G mirror frames for christmas presents this year. No vibration at all from what I could tell but it looks a whole lot different the the pic you posted.

I have a different one than the one on Amazon; in fact, I bought it a month before that one was newly released unsure.gif

Maybe there wasn't a vibration issue, but when I looked at mine (similar design but not so sexy) it didn't seem like it could be balanced. Seemed much too easy to be slightly out of balance and present a wobble.

I put it in a drawer. Later, Woodpeckers had a great clearance sale and clearanced offset wrenches for my Bosch 1617EVS (what's in the table). Now I don't bother with the extension. Granted, the wrenches are much more useful if I'd get a lift, but still easier to bump the router up higher inside the table than take it out like I did previously.

So what are you planning on doing with it? Is it for table use for above-table changes or because you are using the router free-hand and can't get deep enough (say, for a bowl)?