Minimax mm20 restore

Tom Cancelleri

Parts Pronto is the parts division of SCMI-US.

With the saw well tuned, and that blade new, I wouldn't expect any drift at all.  Mine has cut 10,000 lineal feet, and still cuts as clean and straight as it did in the first cut.

It will be interesting to hear where the used tire came from.  Hopefully they took it off of a machine in stock because they only had one in stock and you needed two.  That wouldn't surprise me by a company used to dealing with commercial customers, so I'll withhold my disappointment for now.

• 2 weeks later...

So SCM (Parts Pronto) sent me a new tire today since they sent me a used tire in the first order. Yay they got that right. However, they sent the wrong part to replace the broken face of the switch housing. They sent me a new stop button, not the housing face. I am in disbelief as to how hard it can be to get the order right.

6 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

So SCM (Parts Pronto) sent me a new tire today since they sent me a used tire in the first order. Yay they got that right. However, they sent the wrong part to replace the broken face of the switch housing. They sent me a new stop button, not the housing face. I am in disbelieve as to how hard it can be to get the order right.

Hmm, are they filled by Amazon? 

I just got a box delivered with electrical supplies. 220v switch for the jointer. They sent a 110 only switch. 

Just now, Brendon_t said:

Hmm, are they filled by Amazon? 

I just got a box delivered with electrical supplies. 220v switch for the jointer. They sent a 110 only switch. 

I wish, Amazon has never made a mistake. When I called up SCM on Feb 26th they said ok send me a picture of the tires and the cracked faceplate. So I did, I said to him on the phone here are the part numbers... I was told "no no no no don't worry about the part numbers I got em right here" So I said ok it's the switch box, and 1 tire. OK we'll ship em out to you. Also, for a $62 tire, the quality control is somewhat lacking. there are some pieces of rubber I need to cut off from the bottom or it'll make the tire have a bump in it. UGH

Sweet! New tires are both on, this was a bit of a pain in the ass. I wound up going with the hot water method as I couldn't evenly heat them with a heat gun. Pull em out when they were hot, quickly dry them and stretch em on. Had to use some squeeze clamps to keep them on in certain places. The bottom tire however was easy since I was able to work the tire in one direction without the wheel moving. I adjusted the table tilt about 1.5 degrees so the blade was perpendicular to the table, adjusted the fence rail so the ruler was set to 0 at the blade. Adjusted the drift of the fence, and the blade guides perfectly. With the new tires everything is much better. My cut width set on the fence scale at 1/4"  made a cut, and it's .248 at the top of the cut on a 6" wide board, and .2485 at the bottom of the cut in the front, at the back it's .2475 on the top and .2485 at the bottom of the cut.  I'm gonna call that perfect! Took about 3ish hours to do all that tuning and change the tires. Now I don't have to touch anything for a good long time. 

Interesting.  I just gave them part numbers for what I wanted, and didn't have any issues.  I wonder how that used tire got in the mix.  Maybe it's easier to put tires on a 24".  I had more trouble putting tires on a 14" Delta. 

I didn't worry about heating them up evenly.  I just heated them up until I could barely hold them, and they went right on.  We've pushed it hard for a bunch of hours since then, and no worries at all.  You should be done with yours forever, or close to it.

• Like 1