Minimax mm20 restore

Tom Cancelleri

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

So I suppose the exterior will get waxed and buffed to a shine when all is said and done  ?  Or is the OCD not quite that severe?

It'll get repainted. I'm gonna grab some white enamel paint and roll it on. But that isn't a must be done right this second kind of thing. I'm still waiting on some parts and such. The OCD can be pretty bad.

The instructions for the tires say to soak them in hot water.  I wasn't interested in getting water all over everything.  I held the new tire in one hand, jumping it along, and heated it with a heat gun.  When the whole thing was warm, almost, but not quite too hot to hold, it went right on with little trouble.

There is a "tongue" on the inside of the tire that fits in a groove on the wheels-no glue needed.

I just cut the old ones off carefully with a utility knife.

The 1" blade runs with the teeth right off the front of the wheel edge.

Mine doesn't have that type of guides, but for smoothest finish and fastest feed, I adjusted the guides until I couldn't turn the wheel, and then backed off the least possible.  For the thrust bearings, I set them so they were barely touching the back of the blade, but would speed up when I feed something into it.  Tension is cranked way up, but I don't remember the setting by the gauge.  Mine resaws a 24" Cypress board in three seconds with a resaw sled I built, and gives a great surface.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom King said:

The instructions for the tires say to soak them in hot water.  I wasn't interested in getting water all over everything.  I held the new tire in one hand, jumping it along, and heated it with a heat gun.  When the whole thing was warm, almost, but not quite too hot to hold, it went right on with little trouble.

There is a "tongue" on the inside of the tire that fits in a groove on the wheels-no glue needed.

I just cut the old ones off carefully with a utility knife.

The 1" blade runs with the teeth right off the front of the wheel edge.

Mine doesn't have that type of guides, but for smoothest finish and fastest feed, I adjusted the guides until I couldn't turn the wheel, and then backed off the least possible.  For the thrust bearings, I set them so they were barely touching the back of the blade, but would speed up when I feed something into it.  Tension is cranked way up, but I don't remember the setting by the gauge.  Mine resaws a 24" Cypress board in three seconds with a resaw sled I built, and gives a great surface.

Thanks for the tips. 

20 minutes ago, Tom King said:

What was that question about which blade again?

Haha, thanks for the recommendation. This blade is awesome, and for the price I'm really impressed. I need to tune the saw a bit more. Adjusting the table and tilt and everything is a bit of a pain. Not too crazy about the blade guides either, at some point maybe I'll upgrade them to the Laguna guides, or perhaps try to source some cool block guides.