Minimax mm20 restore

Tom Cancelleri

1 minute ago, hhh said:

==>I hope you got some sleep!

He got the sleep -- it was the EvapoRust doing all the work...

@tom - send them the before and after -- maybe they'll send you a free gallon... :)

I posted before during and after on their Facebook wall. Would be cool if they sent me a gallon. I've gone through 5 gallons of this stuff restoring old hand planes, 2 table saws, and now this bandsaw. 

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

Damn that stuff works amazingly.  I need to get me some.  Because it works,  it's proabably banned in cali. .

Yea, Brendon I think they do.  I went to the website that Trip posted earlier in the thread and two things, they say it is environmentally friendly in the description and they list shipping prices for it to the lower 48 states.

6 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Wow!!! Really want to see a video of this thing in action when you have her up and running. Preferably a video of you resawing 16" maple. :)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

My tires won't be here for nearly 4 weeks. Since PartsPronto will do partial shipments and charge you for each shipment they make, I didn't wanna pay excessive shipping charges each time they get a part in stock. Better to pay it all in 1 shipment. 

I didn't do any work on the saw today, went to the woodworking show in Chantilly this morning, which is never good for my wallet, but is good for my shop. I picked up a Ridge Carbide TS2000 40 tooth table saw blade, I took a good look at the blade at the show and I was pretty impressed, I like that every 5th tooth is a raker tooth so it can do box joints without having to buy a blade specific for that kind of thing. $89 bucks show price, cheaper than a WW2 blade at the same level of performance. I also picked up a 2 pack of Advance Grrrrrrrrippers with 1/8th legs. $149 and then $30 MIR. for that price how could I turn it down. Besides, my table saw is upset I haven't been showing it a lot of love lately. 

Now for the most ridiculous thing I've ever done in the shop......

I can't take the gigantic wheels off because I don't have a pulley puller, and quite frankly I don't know if I wanna go rent one so that I can take off a wheel that's close for 40 pounds. I want to soak the blade guide/guard post in evaporust, but can't because I can't get the assembly out without removing the wheel. Since you don't need a lot of evaporust and I don't wanna put a large pail, I figured a tube would work, but where to get a tube? Hey look a shopvac wand piece. I covered one end and taped it tight and used more and more duct tape, tested to see if it would leak, then began to fill the tube. I tape it in place and I'm gonna let it soak and I'll clean it in place. 

ridic.jpg

ridic2.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

My tires won't be here for nearly 4 weeks. Since PartsPronto will do partial shipments and charge you for each shipment they make, I didn't wanna pay excessive shipping charges each time they get a part in stock. Better to pay it all in 1 shipment. 

Did you let them know that 4 weeks does not equal pronto? 

• Like 2

==>4 weeks does not equal pronto?

Considering it's latinate origin, four weeks is pretty good... You should deal with MananaParts... :)

BTW: on a more serious note, parts sourcing is the down-side for Euro kit here in North America... Four, six or eight weeks is typical... I was down for a couple months waiting on a control board...

3 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Now for the most ridiculous thing I've ever done in the shop......

I can't take the gigantic wheels off because I don't have a pulley puller, and quite frankly I don't know if I wanna go rent one so that I can take off a wheel that's close for 40 pounds. I want to soak the blade guide/guard post in evaporust, but can't because I can't get the assembly out without removing the wheel. Since you don't need a lot of evaporust and I don't wanna put a large pail, I figured a tube would work, but where to get a tube? Hey look a shopvac wand piece. I covered one end and taped it tight and used more and more duct tape, tested to see if it would leak, then began to fill the tube. I tape it in place and I'm gonna let it soak and I'll clean it in place. 

ridic.jpg

ridic2.jpg

Now that is great.  This makes me think you need a new nickname Tom.  What do you prefer, Mcgyver or the Professor from Gilligan's Island? 

Wow. It's really looking good. Keep the updates coming.

Side note - you guys finding stuff like this on Craigslist drives me nuts. Craigslist up here is a barren patch of generators, snow blowers, drills, and crappy mitre saws. I check every day religiously and in over a year haven't found a single damned thing that would be useful in my shop. Lucky bastards.

• Like 1

If you are running low on evaporust when filling a pan or tube fill in the excess spaces with marbles. A few bags of marbles are a cheap solution to the problem. PVC pipe and a cap would have worked if the tape hadn't held.

Its looking good. I doubt the wheels need pulling unless your OCD just demands it be done, you can work around them while cleaning.

• Like 1

It's a monster, takes a few seconds to get to full RPM, that's a lot of big wheel to move. The blade that's on there is craptastic, it's a ripping blade. That tooth geometry is terrible for resaw, also the tires might be slipping a touch. When you turn it on, you can hear the power. There's some more cleaning that needs to be done on the outside.