Dewalt DW746 Table Saw

tim0625

Alright Community....hellllp....I have an opportunity to purchase a Dewalt woodworkers table saw - DW746 that comes with 4 homemade sleds, an out feed table, and a router mounted in a fixed base to the right, on the wooden part of the table saw table/extension. Also with the deal is a heavy metal tenoning jig. He is asking $500 for everything. Plz give advice on the price and even if you don't have one of these...please give me an opinion. I know a really good new table saw is some bucks and I can't do that just now but this saw, it has minimal wear, the fence system is really tight, good horsepower, and the guy has added a router to the extension that has an solid oak cabinet built under it with drawers. Ok...it's not a $4K Powermatic...now THAT would be sweet but for the price, I'm thinking it's a good mid priced saw ($1300 original retail) with good features that would serve me well for many years until the inevitable upgrade. HELP!! Thanks

Tim

$1300 MSRP for that saw was pretty steep IMO, but $500 for all the stuff you mentioned seems fair if it's stuff you want.

Keeping it real, the original knocks against the saw were that it came with steel wings, and the stock fence wasn't quite up to snuff with other fences in the same price range. If the fence ans wings aren't a concern for you, could make for a nice saw.....alignment and blade selection are the keys for any of them to perform well.

Thanks for the input. Having said all that, I still have my old Craftsman table saw that cuts true and it's paid for...at Christmas time. I know the C word (Craftsman) makes some cringe but woodworking is just a hobby and I just do a whole lot of tinkering. This guy with the Dewalt is moving to Florida in a week so it's now or never with him. My attraction is the fence system on the Dewalt. His is true and it's tight. The fence system on my Craftsman is shot. I also have a metal working background and have a lot of metal working tools. I've looked closely at the fence systems out there and it wouldn't be hard at all to make one with rails as long as I want them to be. (I can't justify in my mind paying big money for a Biesemeyer system when it's soooo simple and easy to make) It actually would be kind of fun making both it and the table to the right of the saw as a 3x3 (or so) router table that's enclosed with dust collection built in, drawers, etc. that replaces and extends the RH wing. Sooo, I'm considering letting this opportunity pass and hey, if I make the fence system and then come up on a nice used saw, I can always adapt my fence system to it. Remember Garry in the YouTube video with the shop with all of the teak in it? He said something that resonated with me..."half the fun is making the jigs and things ....to make other things". Thanks for the input and for listening. It helps to talk this stuff out. Merry Christmas!