Classic Workbench Build

jmaichel

7 hours ago, TIODS said:

Looking awesome!  Where you headed next?

Not sure yet.

7 hours ago, sheperd80 said:

Lookin good! Im planning to build a poplar bench as well. Mainly because i have a pile of 8/4 already.

How are those slabs doing after months in your shop? Noticing any dramatic movement? We work with poplar alot and it seems pretty stable for a softer species. Curious how it behaves in large laminations like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have not noticed anything significant...yet!

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious have you read the revised edition of Christopher Swartz workbenches book? There is so much great information in that book. Just a thought. Good luck on your build a workbench is a great project and something that was very special to me. I made my bench completely out of southern yellow pine. Other than the leg vice which is spalted maple. Enjoy. 

19 hours ago, jmaichel said:

I actually got a little bit of work done on the bench the last couple of days. 

I do have a bench update. This weekend I was able to mill the legs to final dimension. I used the planer for a lot of the heavy lifting but had to first get a reference edge using hand planes. I decided to cut the legs to length by hand. I was a little apprehensive at first but decided what good is a $300 handsaw, if I am afraid to use it! My cuts were a little out of square but nothing a little hand planning could not fix. I made sure that when I cut to the final length that I cut on the waste side of my line to leave room for planning to final length. 

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

What brand hand saw is that? It's quite beautiful!

• 2 months later...

A quick update. I apologize for not having an update in a long time but I have made some progress since my last post.

The base is almost done. I have cut all the joinery on the legs and rails and have done a few dry assemblies. I need to cut mortises on the top for the legs and drill the holes for the pegs on the legs and top. I also need to do all layout and joinery for the Criss Cross hardware. I am going to have to find a friend with a drill press or go to Hickam AFB and use their woodshop.

Hopefully, I will finish in the next couple months. 

IMG_0462.jpg

• Like 1