Redwood Live Edge Slab help

mbrockman5

Hello all. This is my first post on this forum, and I could use some advice.

A brief(ish) backstory....I purchased a 198" X 17" X 4" Redwood Live Edge Slab about a month ago that I'm using for my mantel. When I got it, the weather had been Clear/Sunny so I left it outside on 1 foot long 4x4 blocks, in my driveway for more room to work on it. After no rain for about 20+ days(Northern CA), I thought it would be fine. When it did start raining, i covered it with a tarp (which that idea failed) for about a week expecting to move it into my garage the following weekend, which turned into another week after my daughter broker her leg.

That brings us to present day.... My wife and I finally moved it into the garage a few days ago, just as a long 2 week rain storm hit. Once we had it inside, I noticed mildew had formed on the white Sapwood which I immediately sprayed with Bleach Water.

My question is.... Will I still be able to use this slab or is it ruined? And is there anything I can do to save it from further damage? c7bcca425874434d0755e27551d37610.jpg4a8b1b70f92353fac06a2264f1e7a027.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

A side note.... The smaller piece on the right is the cutoff from the sawmill I'm using for another project....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

it looks like you got the mildew off so I would day no, it is not ruined.  Once you sand and top coat it you should not get any new mildew, especially if you are going to use inside.