Cheap Brads

Redbaran

So you would think with something like a NAIL which has been around FOREVER would be pretty much of the same quality no matter what brand. I picked up a pack of 18-gauge 1-3/16" brads from harbor freight and attempted to use them in MDF on a quick butt joint. I should consider myself lucky that my hand wasn't on the side that they came out on.

The nails consistently came out on the left side relative to the nail gun, and I have no idea why. This picture is of some scrap wood that I used to get a good picture for everyone.

I purchased some brads from the BORG (porter cable brand), tested those, and didn't have a problem. The nailer is also from HF, so I was glad I could eliminate that as the problem. My only theory on the nails from HF is that they are made out of softer material. I guess the Chinese found a use for all that lead now that they can't put it in toys.

In general, as someone that's just getting into wood working, buying some tools at HF makes sense for me because I don't have a lot of money to spend, especially on a new hobby. I expect cheap tools to perform like cheap tools, but nails?! I didn't expect that!

post-2970-0-47192500-1293139480_thumb.jp

Hi Redbaran,

I share your frustration. It is possible that the nails do not have an equal angle on the 'pointy side' which would turn the nail in the board? If possible take them back with the board & get your money back. They are definitely defective.

SAFETY NOTE: Always keep your hands away from the joint while nailing. I have had a few blowouts but thankfully no injury. If the nail hits another nail or a knot it doesn't want to go straight.

Hi Redbaran,

I share your frustration. It is possible that the nails do not have an equal angle on the 'pointy side' which would turn the nail in the board? If possible take them back with the board & get your money back. They are definitely defective.

SAFETY NOTE: Always keep your hands away from the joint while nailing. I have had a few blowouts but thankfully no injury. If the nail hits another nail or a knot it doesn't want to go straight.

I've fired a nail and had it do a U-turn and come back towards me. Thankfully, it only made it 1/2" out past the surface.

Hi Redbaran,

Yep, that's the problem! Good thought. It was a box of 5k, and it looks like they are inconsistent from one strip to the next. Thanks for the safety tip. I'm pretty paranoid about safety, especially since my day job has me in front of a keyboard all day long. Missing a finger would be pretty bad. Usually, if I'm trying to get a flush fit, I'll use a second board across the top to align the butt joint.

I've fired a nail and had it do a U-turn and come back towards me. Thankfully, it only made it 1/2" out past the surface.

Yikes! You were wearing your kevlar vest, right?

I have a HF combination stapler/brad nailer and it does this even with the higher quality nails. I don't know for certain, but I suspect that the way it loads the brads from the left side is a contributing factor. It works fine with staples.

I bought that stapler for a simple frame favor for a friend. It works well with staples, but I've never had good results at all with brads. Worse, the head is wide for the staples so you get a wide dimple if you're sinking the nails. I just keep it loaded with staples for when that's better.

I will say that I've picked up one of those Freeman pinners recently along with a pack of Grex pins. Excellent combination; no misfirings, nothing bent, no surface damage other than a remarkably small pinhole. The Freemans are on sale often. Worth it if you don't use a pinner that much as higher quality ones nearly quadruple the price.

When I was just getting started in woodworking I had a nail that blew out the side skimmed my finger, worse yet a buddy's Dad pinned his finger and had to pull his finger loose from the board-ouch. I really don't use my nailer much at all except for making jigs or attaching small trim but when ever I do grab it I always remember those two examples. Glad you got the problem figured out.

Nate

When I was just getting started in woodworking I had a nail that blew out the side skimmed my finger, worse yet a buddy's Dad pinned his finger and had to pull his finger loose from the board-ouch. I really don't use my nailer much at all except for making jigs or attaching small trim but when ever I do grab it I always remember those two examples. Glad you got the problem figured out.

Nate

I can vouch that you don't need cheap brads to nail your finger, just a good dose of stupidity! I am living proof. About a year ago, I was "breaking in" my new brad nailer with inch+ brads and proceeded to bounce the brad off something and nail a good sized board to my left thumb. Was stuck on there pretty well, actually. Took a good pull to get the board off.

There were a couple of silver linings to this story:

1. It actually didn't hurt very much as it happened very fast. So, if you really do need to attach wood to an appendage, a brad nailer is a pretty humane way to do so (as opposed to, lets say, a screw gun or a mortise and tenon approach...).

2. I missed the bone (and a fracture), which was convenient.

3. No infection after the fact, although I did end up taking some antibiotics on the recomendation of a hand surgeon friend of mine.

4. I'm MUCH more careful using a brad nailer these days.

5. Got a bit of sympathy from the wife for that one...she didn't realize how stupid my error was...

R

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using brad nailers for many years, the only time I had nails blow out the side as in your photo was when I was using mdf or chipboard or some other man-made material.

Was wondering if you had tried it on solid wood? Did it react the same way?

Or as you say, maybe it was just a bad batch?

At least you weren't hurt!

Try nailer with HF ammo on softwood, hardwood, and PBoard to compare results.

Many times adjustment of inlet pressure to nailer bring desireable results.

Too much pressure as fastner moves thru different densities of material will cause nail/brad to deflect--user curses.

Too little pressure, ammo doesn't clear gun or doesn't set fully--user curses.