Corrosion X ???

Santa is bringing me some Lie Nielsen chisels this year and I wondering how to care for them. Will they need treatment as soon as I get them? I read about a product called CorrosionX and wondered if any of you had used it on hand tools. Most of my research revealed it to be used for machine top surfaces...

Any information on this product or general advice on keeping my tools safe would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

Hey Mark, Used to use this product in the military. It is an excellent product. I think that it might be a little overkill too. You may want to think about just using some paste wax. You can also use this on your other tools. Lots of folks use it on their cast iron. It protects and keeps things slick. Great for TS and jointer tops. By the way, nice score. Enjoy.

Thanks for the quick response. I bought a can of Renaissance Wax and was planning to apply it after each use. Just checking to see if there is any pre-treatment required. I am also curious if LN chisels come with any protective coating that needs to be removed prior to use?

It was indeed a good score from the wife... I just hope I have the same success when I start asking for all of those planes!

Regards,

Mark

A desiccant in your chisel drawer or chisel cabinet can help, too, for sudden humidity changes like an incoming storm. You can buy some nice ones from Lee Valley (currently free shipping!) that come in metal cans. You can occasionally pop the desiccant in a toaster oven to dry it out and renew it; instructions are with the Lee Valley can.

I know Frank Klausz's bench has a little reservoir at one end where he keeps an oil so he can conveniently wipe down tools as he goes along. Might be a nice addition with a spring lid if you wouldn't normally go through it fast enough.