Walnut Redemption

Pwk5017

Last time I received what i considered to be a sub-par order of 1com walnut, I was somewhat schooled on the grading system. Today, I shot home around noon to meet the driver and unload my latest order around 600bf. Lifting that much 8/4 from chin level really sucked. It's been 8+ months since I moved that quantity in one sitting, and my feeble muscles were barely up to the task. In an almost karma-like fashion, this batch of walnut is incredible. 8/4 1com for $4 a bdft and 80% of the boards are freaking flawless. After I moved 8 boards, I actually stopped unloading to go check the tags and BOL to make sure some one didnt goof and pack FAS. It was that good. Moments like these really make me question the whole industry. I have no idea why I would pay $7.50-7.75 for FAS 8/4 when 1com is this good. I called my contact at the wholesaler afterwards to tell him how awesome this pack was. He told me the last month of walnut deliveries have been superb, and that he was present when they loaded my order. Almost makes a guy want to buy and hoard....

The driver delivered 3,000 bdft prior to making it to me, but he had a batch of cedar and mahogany in the back to deliver. I asked him where it was going to, and he told me it was a pro shop named "Rockler". Kind of funny that they buy from local wholesalers and dont have their own national distribution. 

IMG_2401.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Sweet looking load at this distance!

yes, I will need to take some individual board shots and have eric tell me how it could be considered 1com. Who knows, the percentages and measurements might work out somehow.

18 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Ya got some clover in your grass might want to bust the sprayer out. I'm trying to distract myself from the awesome price you got on that walnut. :(

Im the abomination of the neighborhood. I cut my grass like 4 times a year. Im surprised I havent received a citation yet. 

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Pass it through the planer before you take the pics...you may find out why. :D

You thinking there's a ton of sapwood? I saw some in 1-2 boards that I handled this evening. I'm marking out 150bf for two projects and i haven't uncovered any ugly surprises that I didn't see while unloading it. Pretty standard 3-6" of checking on the ends of boards. Some of the boards made sense to be 1com. Clear, but 4-5" wide. Min is like 6", right?

Sapwood is not considered a defect in walnut.  They typically steam it so consumers will like it better (because consumers are mostly clueless), but I don't believe it's considered a defect to NHLA.  So even if it is sapwood-heavy, that wouldn't be why it was labeled as commons.

I have no idea why you got such a killer stack of lumber...maybe you just got lucky, or maybe you'll find out why.  You have to imagine, though, if it's truly FAS, they would have sold it as such.  No idea.

Wow nice haul! 12,000$ in raw lumber sounds like both heaven and hell rolled together though haha. 

I don't use even a small fraction of what you got, but I typically get "2nd grade" walnut because it has some sapwood in it. Not only do I prefer sapwood (i love the contrast ) it knocks the price from 6$ bdft to 3$... 

Hope you post some pics of what you're gonna use that stuff for !

8 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

What are the average dimensions of those boards? They look almost like 2x4s (real not nominal) from so far away...

I think the one in my hands at that time IS 4-4.5" wide. I have about 4-5 that are that skinny. However, despite being narrow, they are 100% clear on both faces. Im going to sound like an idiot, because i dont know the exact specifics, but i think any board narrower than 5-6" is automatically knocked down to 1common. Hell, for 90% of the stuff I produce with this 8/4, I might prefer clear 4-5" widths. Makes the lifting easier! I was jointing 110" long 10" wide 8/4 hard maple boards 2 weekends ago, and i was sweating like a pig. It left me physically exhausting after milling all of them for a few hours. 

7 hours ago, bob493 said:

Wow nice haul! 12,000$ in raw lumber sounds like both heaven and hell rolled together though haha. 

I don't use even a small fraction of what you got, but I typically get "2nd grade" walnut because it has some sapwood in it. Not only do I prefer sapwood (i love the contrast ) it knocks the price from 6$ bdft to 3$... 

Hope you post some pics of what you're gonna use that stuff for !

Oh no, I didnt buy $12,000! The order before me was 3k bdft. I ended up with high 600s bdft, i think. They are destined to be a bar top with matching table tops for a local restaurant. There's a cherry kitchen counter job on the horizon as well.