Blending polyurethane

Just Bob

I am pretty sure I know the answer but thought I would ask.  Has anybody successfully blended a new poly finish with an old?  My wife wanted me to add a kitchen cabinet and make the butcher block counter grow.  That part was easy, but now I have to refinish the counter top.  My thought was to feather out the old poly then use a thinned coat for the first new finish.  Google says no, but thought I would ask here.  I think I am just trying to delay the inevitable, which is pulling the sink and refinish 23ft of counter.

count.JPG

It will always show unless you sand the whole thing. 

This is similar to trying to find a break point in refinishing a hardwood floor. It always looks different, even if the flooring isn't very old. 

If I was doing this for a client, the only way I would do it to make it look right is sand off the whole thing and finish it all together. 

Removing the sink and re-installing it would be easier than trying to tediously work around it. 

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, rathi said:

I know this is an old thread but wondering if you used thinned poly or not after the first coat.  I recently messed up my newly refinished wood floor and I'm trying to do something like this so I don't have to recoat the whole thing.

You do realize that this was 6yrs ago?  I have trouble remembering yesterday!  That said I am 95% sure that after the first coat I went to full strength.  One caveat,  I installed and finished the original counter top so I was able to use the exact same brand name  and type of poly.  Hopefully you will be able to do the same.   If it matters I still can't find the transition line and the counter looks pretty darn good today.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:14 AM, Just Bob said:

You do realize that this was 6yrs ago?  I have trouble remembering yesterday!  That said I am 95% sure that after the first coat I went to full strength.  One caveat,  I installed and finished the original counter top so I was able to use the exact same brand name  and type of poly.  Hopefully you will be able to do the same.   If it matters I still can't find the transition line and the counter looks pretty darn good today.

Thanks Bob.  Appreciate the input. 

Before looking into the right way of doing things I just sanded down the initial blemish and poly'd over it - feathering over the old poly adjacent to it.  I don't have a seam line so much as a hazy area where there is now 6 coats of poly compared to the 3 coats surrounding it.  Would rather have seam lines than this haze.  So I'm going to try a modified version of what you did.  I don't want to feather out too far because if it doesn't work it will just be a larger imperfection.  So on on the side parallel to the planks I will not feather and just hope the space between the planks hides the seam.  On the other sides where the seam would be perpendicular to the planks I will feather maybe an inch at 500 and see how that works.  

Will report back how it works out.

• Like 2