Sansin finishes

TerryMcK

I'm making a few driveway gates at the moment out of iroko (an African oily wood similar to teak) for the frame and western red cedar T&G for the vertical boards. I decided to do a few test boards of iroko and a few finishing products. I found that General Finishes Exterior 450 would not take to the iroko due to its high oil content. In fact GF state that Exterior 450 should not be used on oily woods. There are no such problems with WRC of course. I also tried Danish oil and that worked ok. I do know that neither species actually require finish as they are durable and rot resistant but I wanted to create a surface that does not gray and minimizes dirt adherence caused by rain bounce up.  

A local siding, fencing and deck board manufacturer has recommended using Sansin SDF (a Canadian waterborne product with various tints) as it can be used on both species with one or two coats. I'm not sure of the formulation but have downloaded the data sheets and product brochures. Allegedly it lasts 3 to 6 years on vertical surfaces and 2 to 3 years on horizontals before recoating - we'll see!

Has anybody used this finish? From what I have learnt so for it is looking very tempting to me.

I applied lots of it when I was employed by a GC a while ago. It was used on a fairly pricey net zero energy home. The stuff we had was sort of chalky on WRC. It wasn't bad looking, but it wasn't exactly clear either. It was very easy to apply. I have no idea about long term durability.

On 7/11/2016 at 6:08 AM, TerryMcK said:

I'm making a few driveway gates at the moment out of iroko (an African oily wood similar to teak) for the frame and western red cedar T&G for the vertical boards. I decided to do a few test boards of iroko and a few finishing products. I found that General Finishes Exterior 450 would not take to the iroko due to its high oil content. In fact GF state that Exterior 450 should not be used on oily woods. There are no such problems with WRC of course. I also tried Danish oil and that worked ok. I do know that neither species actually require finish as they are durable and rot resistant but I wanted to create a surface that does not gray and minimizes dirt adherence caused by rain bounce up.  

A local siding, fencing and deck board manufacturer has recommended using Sansin SDF (a Canadian waterborne product with various tints) as it can be used on both species with one or two coats. I'm not sure of the formulation but have downloaded the data sheets and product brochures. Allegedly it lasts 3 to 6 years on vertical surfaces and 2 to 3 years on horizontals before recoating - we'll see!

Has anybody used this finish? From what I have learnt so for it is looking very tempting to me.

Never used Sansin, but have some experience with Semco Teak Sealer. Great finish to work with and holds up well.

5 hours ago, K Cooper said:

More castle remodel, heh? Wish I could help Terry, but have never heard of this stuff. Good luck to Ya bud!

Yes some of the castle drawbridges are getting old and needed replacing. Too much moisture from the moat I guess :P