Something new from Powermatic?

Mick S

35 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

I haven't done research on CNC setups, but that seems like a very high price tag for what appears to be a middle of the road setup.  Then again I could be way off base or flat out wrong.

I think so, too. You can get a much heavier, much faster and more rigid machine for about 1/2 PM's price.

I don't see this doing too well for PM. They priced themselves too high. 

Yikes. That is high. They don't even provide the router/spindle.

Also, 2 other observations that won't go over well:

1) The ballscrew is going to be painfully slow on the 4' axis with only 200ipm rapids.

2) The travel is exactly 24"x48". One thing I learned long ago is always give people a few inches of overhang in case they want to go to the edge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FineLineAutomation said:

1) The ballscrew is going to be painfully slow on the 4' axis with only 200ipm rapids.

2) The travel is exactly 24"x48". One thing I learned long ago is always give people a few inches of overhang in case they want to go to the edge.

At some point in the future I'll probably get the Saturn. The capacity, and speeds are really appealing. I think you found the "sweet spot" in pricing vs capacity. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FineLineAutomation said:

We had the same thoughts. I downloaded the owner's manual to look at the schematics. The ballscrew/linear guide assembly on the 4' axis look like a better design than what I've seen in the past. I was concerned about torque binding in that axis, but I think at 200 ipm they have little to worry about.

Without a little overtravel there's no way to truly cut a 24" x 48" envelope unless you're engraving.

With a 3D CAM (Aspire) package you're well over $10,000. Ouch. 

At 10,000 you're in 48x48 shopbot territory.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, but you still need the spindle... if you want to match the Columbo spindles that are on the shopbot you are looking at another $3,000.

The one thing I do like is how heavy it is. 600 lbs isn't light and will go a long way towards reducing chatter. They could have made the gantry heavier though.

Nate

Fine Line Automation

www.finelineautomation.com

2 hours ago, FineLineAutomation said:

Yes, but you still need the spindle... if you want to match the Columbo spindles that are on the shopbot you are looking at another $3,000.

The one thing I do like is how heavy it is. 600 lbs isn't light and will go a long way towards reducing chatter. They could have made the gantry heavier though.

Nate

Fine Line Automation

www.finelineautomation.com

The $8500 includes a spindle - looks like a water cooled 2.2kw. Edit - They updated their site from the other day. It is a 3 hp.

• 7 months later...

Just caught this forum.

The Powermatic is the same as the Axiom CNC machines, except for the stands. Both made in the same factory, according to Axiom.

The difference in price equipped the same is about $400 from Axiom to the PM,  The PM comes with a dust shoe and on a Axiom it's $159 extra.

Powermatic, does have a 5 year warranty vs 1 year for Axiom.  I don't know if that is worth $400, but if the controller were to fail, it costs $650 new from Axiom, I don't know how much it would cost from Powermatic.

I don't have either machine, but I feel the warranty is worth the price difference.