Spraying Am-R-Seal

Robby W

When I clean up waterbase, I mostly clean with water.  After everything is clean, I do fill the cup about 1/4 with acetone and run it through the gun.  Acetone is a dry solvent, it will help flush all the water out and make sure you gun is nice a clean for whatever finish you use next.  Acetone is also compatible with pretty much every finish.  

Hi, Mike - I do the same, but tend to use alcohol because it will absorb the remaining water and get it out of the gun. Good to know about acetone. I almost always have mineral spirits, naptha, denatured alcohol, acetone and lacquer thinner around the shop. It's handy to be able to grab what you need without going to the store.

An update: I called General Finishes and talked to them about my project. The gent that talked to me said that Arm-R-Seal would require a long time to harden sufficiently, so I am taking that off the list for this project. We also discussed my experience with High Performance and he said that HP typically takes at least a week to cure enough to put a book on it. I would suggest even more than that based on my experience.

Finally, we go to Enduro Var. He said that in an environment with decent air flow, it would cure enough for books to be placed on it in 48 hours. Based on that, I think I will spray things one weekend, then put the back on it the next and put it in place.

Thanks to all for your input. I'll let you know how it turns out. This is the largest bookcase I have made in quite awhile and I like the way it is going together.

An update: I called General Finishes and talked to them about my project. The gent that talked to me said that Arm-R-Seal would require a long time to harden sufficiently, so I am taking that off the list for this project. We also discussed my experience with High Performance and he said that HP typically takes at least a week to cure enough to put a book on it. I would suggest even more than that based on my experience.

Finally, we go to Enduro Var. He said that in an environment with decent air flow, it would cure enough for books to be placed on it in 48 hours. Based on that, I think I will spray things one weekend, then put the back on it the next and put it in place.

Thanks to all for your input. I'll let you know how it turns out. This is the largest bookcase I have made in quite awhile and I like the way it is going together.

Yet another plus for Endurovar. Post some pics and your experience when done !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Yet another plus for Endurovar. Post some pics and your experience when done !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Will do. It is going to take a few weeks yet. 21 shelves and the case itself is going to take awhile to sand and finish.

• Like 1