Hand-Crank Grinder

Bud

I'm interested in buying an old hand-crank grinder.  I know nothing about various brands and eras of products...any suggestions?  I'm not sure if there are comparability issues when buying new wheels, stuff like that.

Thanks in advance, y'all always help me out :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bud, I picked this one up for cheap at an antique dealer back home. The holes for the shafts are worn, the handle was cobbled together and broken and the clamp had broken off years ago. Oh and it was covered in a grime that only came off after a trip to the bead blaster. I'm not a blacksmith (yet), but I tried to make a new crank handle out of a large bolt but wasn't happy with the first attempt and I'm not sure anymore I want to crank it by hand because to me it's on the wrong side from the tool rest casting. I'm working on a new tool rest in the pictures and mounted it to the angle for now. And I'm devising a way in the traveling shop to add bushings to get rid of the slop. Still debating if I want to marry it to the bottom half of a treadle sewing machine table I have, I've learned to sharpen using both hands cranking with my dominant seems odd.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:34 PM, Bud said:

I'm interested in buying an old hand-crank grinder.  I know nothing about various brands and eras of products...any suggestions?  I'm not sure if there are comparability issues when buying new wheels, stuff like that.

Happy hunting. Mine has a 5" diameter by 1" wide wheel. 1" arbor hole. As soon as I get the thing sorted I'll replace the wheel with a quality Norton one and might bump up to a 6"  to have more selection.

• Like 1

On July 19, 2016 at 0:34 PM, Bud said:

I've too have been on the scout for a decent hand grinder.So if one pops up on Cl in Vegas you better be quick.

I might just drive up there.

You have a hundred mile head start.:P

Aj

3 hours ago, SamV said:

Bud, I picked this one up for cheap at an antique dealer back home. The holes for the shafts are worn, the handle was cobbled together and broken and the clamp had broken off years ago. Oh and it was covered in a grime that only came off after a trip to the bead blaster. I'm not a blacksmith (yet), but I tried to make a new crank handle out of a large bolt but wasn't happy with the first attempt and I'm not sure anymore I want to crank it by hand because to me it's on the wrong side from the tool rest casting. I'm working on a new tool rest in the pictures and mounted it to the angle for now. And I'm devising a way in the traveling shop to add bushings to get rid of the slop. Still debating if I want to marry it to the bottom half of a treadle sewing machine table I have, I've learned to sharpen using both hands cranking with my dominant seems odd.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

Happy hunting. Mine has a 5" diameter by 1" wide wheel. 1" arbor hole. As soon as I get the thing sorted I'll replace the wheel with a quality Norton one and might bump up to a 6"  to have more selection.

WA

Sam your grinder looks Sehr gut !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mpride1911 said:

I bought this one today.  It looks like it says Lakeside on the case.  Of course I missed the glaring chunk of the case that's missing hear the bottom, but it still works.

Nice one, should clean up well. I like the double mounts for the tool rests something I wish mine had. Looks like it could use a elephant foot replacement on the mounting screw or a plate for the underside of wherever you mount it.

2 hours ago, SamV said:

Nice one, should clean up well. I like the double mounts for the tool rests something I wish mine had. Looks like it could use a elephant foot replacement on the mounting screw or a plate for the underside of wherever you mount it.

Yeah, I'm going to dig into it today and see what it will look like.  I'm inundated with old tools right now, I have no room to work at the moment.  I went a little overboard.

• Like 1