hand plane help

jimmykx250

post-396-0-20984200-1293731186_thumb.jpgpost-396-0-23603300-1293731272_thumb.jpgpost-396-0-02414900-1293731356_thumb.jpg

Attached are 2 pictures of an old wooden plane a friend of mine gave me. Im not sure how to set the new mouth plate I made for it back in? How much clearence do I need between the blade and the mouth? The 3rd pic is of a millers falls 9b plane i have worked on and my question is the height adjustment knob seems to be hitting the handle. It's the original blade and chipbreaker im thinking im missing something but i dont see it. The thing shaves nicely! Thanks,

Clearance on a smoothing plane is a given as a "gnats hiney." I might set it at zero and the plane the bottom of the plane until the mouth opens up to about 0.003. This should pass all the shavings you want to take with a smoother. If it jams then your taking too much of a cut. If it is wider that is fine. I have one that has a gaping 3/16" and it is still a good smoother. I like a tight mouth, but it is not necessary it just helps.

Clearance on a smoothing plane is a given as a "gnats hiney." I might set it at zero and the plane the bottom of the plane until the mouth opens up to about 0.003. This should pass all the shavings you want to take with a smoother. If it jams then your taking too much of a cut. If it is wider that is fine. I have one that has a gaping 3/16" and it is still a good smoother. I like a tight mouth, but it is not necessary it just helps.

Josh-

So this is a smoother plane? I wasn't sure if i should be wasting my time on this thing it seems pretty old and beat up but for some reason i like the thing. So the mouth opening isnt too critical. I will glue the piece in then tune the opening. Any advice on the millers falls issue?

So this is a smoother plane? I wasn't sure if i should be wasting my time on this thing it seems pretty old and beat up but for some reason i like the thing. So the mouth opening isnt too critical. I will glue the piece in then tune the opening. Any advice on the millers falls issue?

In addition to what Bob mentioned, it's also possible the frog may be set too far back. That's about the only thing I can think of if all the parts are original.

As for the wood guy, yup it's a coffin smoother (the coffin refers to the shape). They tend to have gotten pretty torn up. I have the carcass of one kicking around that I harvested the Mathieson blade from but I'm not gonna bother trying to fix it as it's a disaster. When I make planes I do similar to what Josh mentioned. I'll set the mouth so the blade just peeks out, then usually run it over the jointer for a pass or two until I get the mouth where I want (mind you that's before I take it to the bandsaw as a smoother is a little small to want to run over the jointer). If you go that route whether you plane the sole for the mouth, sand it or joint it do so with the blade in it (obviously well away from the sole!) to keep the body under tension, otherwise it can deflect a little as you pass over it and through it a little out of alignment

• 2 weeks later...

The 3rd pic is of a millers falls 9b plane i have worked on and my question is the height adjustment knob seems to be hitting the handle. It's the original blade and chipbreaker im thinking im missing something but i dont see it. The thing shaves nicely! Thanks,

I can't speak to the coffin smoother but I agree with the advice so far with the millers falls. If the knob is solid (meaning not hollowed out) then it's the original Miller's Falls knob. Even so, the millers falls knobs were typically big to begin with. If that's the case, then I would think you either have the frog set too far back or that the adjustment knob is screwed back too far. Check to see if the frog is lined up well with the mouth opening. If it is, then try screwing the knob forward to about a middle position and replacing the iron.

it's hard to tell, but it almost looks like the tote is a little too big for the plane, but the color and checking is real typical of Millers falls. If it's working fine, then I would just shave off some of the top of the tote's foot to free up the knob and enjoy the plane :)

Granted, I'm a little partial to millers falls to begin with...... :D